What's new

archive rules translation

NapInFever

Registered
31 May 2015
Hello,
I wonder how they treat each frame (コマ)
frame1.JPG

as far as i understand each frame is A2 in size and if the page is bigger they split it
frame2.JPG

In other words e.g. 2 A3 pages may count as one frame. Is that right?
frame3.JPG

I am not sure for what do they give you a discount?

裏-写り-防止-用-合紙-無し read from right to left: without - a piece of paper - used for - preventing - projections - from the back.
That is, if you do *not* put a blank piece of paper against the back of the page you want to scan (which one would do to prevent the other side of the page from shining through), you get a discount.

You missed another caution 文字の大きさによっては分割となります.

I didn't miss it, I just wasn't certain enough to provide a translation :). If I had to guess, I'd say this is a price list for the permission to scan/photograph old comic books. The setup they have allows you to capture up to size A2 at a time, but you have to pay by panel rather than by page, even if there's large text that spans across multiple panels (i.e. the text is treated as multiple segments). Another interpretation is that they're talking about contiguous text in a font so large that it doesn't fit in a single A2 page, but I have trouble imagining that.

Also I'm not sure what the "¥81(75)円" means. If they were talking about the regular price versus the discounted one, it would be 71, not 75. Maybe there's a separate discount system? And why the double currency symbols?

Last edited:
Hint: what is 75 plus 8%?

I think you're misinterpreting コマ here. There's no way they charge by the panel. The コマ here is, I believe, the same as used for exposures of film. The price is "per copy".

As said, I was rather unsure about the whole thing and hence didn't write anything about it initially. Interpreting the コマ as referring to a "frame" from the scanner as opposed to a frame/panel in the book itself does make a lot more sense.

As for the price - right, VAT, of course. It's the first time I see this minimalistic notation - where I live, the words "without VAT" are always mentioned explicitly. (Also it's 21% here...)

I didn't miss it, I just wasn't certain enough to provide a translation
Oh, no no, I meant the OP by "you", i.e., I was talking to the OP. Sorry for causing confusion.🤦

I think it's for book digitization or something, and 文字の大きさ actually refers to 小ささ (when the size of letters/characters is too small to read, the page might be split even if the size of the page is smaller than A2.)

That is, if you do *not* put a blank piece of paper against the back of the page you want to scan (which one would do to prevent the other side of the page from shining through), you get a discount.
I wonder if you are not allowed to scan by yourself and all scanning is done by the archive staff does that mean you have tell them to put/not to put blank piece of paper?
I think you're misinterpreting コマ here. There's no way they charge by the panel. The コマ here is, I believe, the same as used for exposures of film. The price is "per copy".
What is a panel? Is it the same as double page(centerfold)? This is the whole chart for the context
fee chart.JPG
They provide copies in both physical and electronic format.
As said, I was rather unsure about the whole thing and hence didn't write anything about it initially. Interpreting the コマ as referring to a "frame" from the scanner as opposed to a frame/panel in the book itself does make a lot more sense.
What is the difference between frame in the scanner and panel of the book?
Is that what you mean?
Frame:
71Z8Z+IXHIL._SL1500_.jpg
Panel:
books-borders-and-frames-4cb4LnXcg.jpeg
Then I agree charging by frame in scanner seems logical thing to do.
Oh, no no, I meant the OP by "you", i.e., I was talking to the OP. Sorry for causing confusion.🤦

I think it's for book digitization or something, and 文字の大きさ actually refers to 小ささ (when the size of letters/characters is too small to read, the page might be split even if the size of the page is smaller than A2.)
Not sure. The only instance I got splitted images from them was when the pages were too big

The last point in the footnotes says that if you have special wishes about the capture method, you should mention so on the form.

I was confused about the meaning of コマ: this can mean "frame/scene" (from e.g. a movie) but also "panel from a comic book". Since it's now clear that this is an archive of documents related to military history, not comic books, it's evident that it should be interpreted as a "shot/capture" from the camera/scanner.

(And, hah, they do mention the 消費税抜き thing at the top :))

Last edited:
The problem is that the OP didn't give us detailed information.
裏写り防止用合紙無しの場合は shows that 裏写り防止用合紙有り is standard, and they use it unless the client asks them not to use it.

Not sure. The only instance I got splitted images from them was when the pages were too big
"Two facing pages might not be combined into one" would be more appropriate than "the page might be split", but the copy of the whole page you gave us shows my interpretation is correct, as in 通常の複写は見開き一コマです.

Back
Top Bottom