What's new

Another は vs が question...

Hi again.

Found another couple of phrases in my textbook where I'm unsure if the different use of は and が have a specific purpose.

The first sentence: ねこがなにかもってきましたか。
The second sentence: ねこはなにかたべましたか。

Is there any particular reason why が was used in the first and は in the second?

Thx.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,539
Are you using Genki, right? Isn't the first sentence ねこがなにかもってきました without か?

Are you using Genki, right? Isn't the first sentence ねこがなにかもってきました without か?
Correct.

I don't know why I put the か particle in here (maybe because I was tired when I made the post). I was actually going to ask if が was used in the first line because its a statement being made, while は was used because a question is being asked. I looked around a little online to see if this was the case but didn't find any sources which supported my hypothesis so I didn't bother to bring it up.

Is this along the right track or is it something else?

Ratings
Correct.

I don't know why I put the か particle in here (maybe because I was tired when I made the post). I was actually going to ask if が was used in the first line because its a statement being made, while は was used because a question is being asked. I looked around a little online to see if this was the case but didn't find any sources which supported my hypothesis so I didn't bother to bring it up.

Is this along the right track or is it something else?
I think it has more to do with the action being performed, and by whom (i.e., less to do with being a questions vs. statement).