What's new

Android S2 question

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
I'm new at this smart phone stuff, but thanks to your help here I was able to learn about apps.
My question is : is there an app that can take a picture with written Japanese words and translate it to English.

Any help on this matter is most appreciated.

Thanks guys

Yes, Google Translate is what you seek.

It's a new world. I still have my trusty Canon Wordtank gathering dust in my drawer. That was the cutting edge of portable translation (well, dictionary lookup) technology 20 years ago.

So the dictionary lookup has a camera part to it? I don't have my phone with me at the moment, that is why I'm asking this.

OK, it says "Get instant translations with your camera by downloading an offline translation file. So what ones would you recommend for Android one S 2 phone.

I don't know about that phone specifically but it looks like a modern phone so it should work. Did you try downloading the app?

Here's how it (should) work:

Here's an example of the live video translation function for Chinese:

Thanks. I'll experiment some later in the evening and see what this phone and translate/picture thing can do. But one review said that the app sucks and not so good. The app for the Android One S2 phone that is.

Let us know how it goes. As far as I know there are no better options. Note the translation itself sucks just as bad as it does on the web. The really cool part is that it can extract the writing from a picture. No need to know anything about radicals or how to look up kanji and words.

The translations are most definitely not perfect but they are often enough to get the gist of what is written. There are two modes, one in which it will "live" translate whatever the camera is currently pointed at and one in which you take a picture and it analyzes it. I usually use the "live" translate option.

As to the offline translation files you will want English and Japanese for sure. There are others that you can install if you may need to translate other languages.

Just a note, it does not do well with stylized script and generally doesn't even consider it as something that can be translated.

Let us know how it goes. As far as I know there are no better options. Note the translation itself sucks just as bad as it does on the web. The really cool part is that it can extract the writing from a picture. No need to know anything about radicals or how to look up kanji and words.
OK, I got caught up with other stuff, hope to get to it today. Thanks.

The translations are most definitely not perfect but they are often enough to get the gist of what is written. There are two modes, one in which it will "live" translate whatever the camera is currently pointed at and one in which you take a picture and it analyzes it. I usually use the "live" translate option.

As to the offline translation files you will want English and Japanese for sure. There are others that you can install if you may need to translate other languages.

Just a note, it does not do well with stylized script and generally doesn't even consider it as something that can be translated.

Thank you. I'll have to see how the "live" translations works, sounds interesting.

Back
Top Bottom