What's new

American but not American Artist Born and Raised in Japan

Johnna

Registered
27 Oct 2014
Hi all! My name is Johnna Slaby and I was born and raised in Japan. When people ask me where I am from, I always have a hard time answering. I say I am from Japan but I am not Japanese. My passport says American, but I am not from America. It is strange, but it leads to a lot of interesting conversations :)
I saw a lot of posts about people asking why they stay in Japan and such and I think it is the neatest thing. I am wondering if there are any people who were also born here and have always been here as well.

I am a watercolor and acrylic artist currently subsiding in Nara, Japan. I love to paint, and it has been my hobby for quite sometime now to draw the sleeping people on the trains in the morning. I also have started a mini business recently with my postcards that I entitled The Japan Cards.

Would love to hear what you think so please check them out at the following links!
Thank you so much!
Please let me know about you and your story!

The link to my postcard shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheJapanCards
My Twitter:
https://twitter.com/JaySlaby
My Blog:
Johnna Slaby

Attachments

• 1011241_10151855143650778_919804901_n.jpg
    1011241_10151855143650778_919804901_n.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 2
Hi,

A friend of mine in your situation just went to the states. She was born here and lived here her whole life, though never learned Japanese or the culture. I think she only identified as American.

Anyway, good luck with your projects!

Hi,

A friend of mine in your situation just went to the states. She was born here and lived here her whole life, though never learned Japanese or the culture. I think she only identified as American.

Anyway, good luck with your projects!

Interesting! I have a few friends like that as well- along with my father. Though here for most of his adult life, never learned to speak the language. I suppose some would argue that it depends if you have the talent for language learning or not.
Thanks a lot!!

Back
Top Bottom