What's new

A question on て form.

nalo6451

Kouhai
19 Feb 2017
So I'm in the early stages of learning te-form and my current understanding is that the suffix ている is added to certain verbs to indicate an action in progress, an action done regularly, or an action resulting in a change of circumstances.

My question is in regards specifically to the verbs いく and くる. Apparently these verbs belong to a group whose conjugates (いっている and きている) describe changes from one state to another, and do NOT describe actions currently in progress.

This means that the sentence "ちゅうごくにいっています" means "Somebody has gone to/is in China" and NOT "She is going to China".

How, then, would one say "She is going to China", and more broadly, how would one use these verbs to describe actions in progress as opposed to actions which have already occurred.

thx.

Also need help with another question fam.

I'm working through some questions and one of them asks to interpret "Mary is singing" to which the answer is "Maryさんはうたうたっています" or something like that (it's a CD Q/A, not a written one). I thought when U-verbs end with う the う becomes って and so うたう should become うたっています, right?

Plz halp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use other expressions or verbs such like 行くところです, 行く途中です or 向かっています.

Yes for うたっています. The CD would be saying うたうたっています.

Back
Top Bottom