What's new

A few questions from a book I'm reading

letslearn

先輩
11 Sep 2013
Hi Guy's
I have few questions in regards to a book I'm reading.
1: 万寿ちゃんは、動物園で見た子どものオランウータンそっくりやった。
What is this やった?
2:三年二組の矢島センセは、作文が大好きで次から次へと作文を書かせる。楽しいかった遠足に、がんばった運動会。
Is it usual to have 先生 written with katakana?
Also I see they use the particle に to express "on this and this" i.e a assignment on subjects like " fun excursions and trying hard at the sportsday"
I have not encountered this before is this just another use of the particle?

3: 学校は毎日楽しいのになあ。作文だけがなやみのたね。なんとかならへんやろうか。
What does なんとかならへんやろうか mean? ....somehow? how can we do this?
4: なんで大人は子どもに、大きくなったら何になりたいの?なんて聞くんやろ。
Again what is the purpose of this やろ。

よろしくお願いします

Kansai dialect going on here

やった = だった
ならへんやろう = ならないだろう
やろ = だろ(う)

What's the book?

Kansai dialect going on here

やった = だった
ならへんやろう = ならないだろう
やろ = だろ(う)

What's the book?
Thanks mikesan.
The book is called さよなら宇宙人
The book has a lot of dialogue, so I hope I don't get stuck continuously by this.
Is there a trick you have learnt while studying that helps with the different dialects and slang when reading and/or listening?

楽しいかった遠足に、
楽しかった(い is unnecessary)

Is it usual to have 先生 written with katakana?
センセ is used to describe the colloquial/slangy pronunciation to call a teacher friendly in Kansai dialect.

Also I see they use the particle に to express "on this and this" i.e a assignment on subjects like " fun excursions and trying hard at the sportsday"
I have not encountered this before is this just another use of the particle?
に is for listing examples there.

4[並助]並列・列挙・添加・取り合わせを表す。「バター―チーズ―牛乳」
「月―むら雲、花―嵐」
に[格助接助終助並助]の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書

楽しかった(い is unnecessary)

センセ is used to describe the colloquial/slangy pronunciation to call a teacher friendly in Kansai dialect.
Very interesting, I can't think of any slang word in English which might mean friendly teacher.

Very interesting, I can't think of any slang word in English which might mean friendly teacher.
I think he meant it's a friendly way to address a teacher, not a way to say friendly teacher. In American slang there's teach. Like "hey teach how ya doin?" (I'm picturing Vinnie Barbarino saying this to Mr. Kotter though I don't know if he actually ever did.)

Hi guys,
if it's not too much trouble i would like to see if my interpretation of dialogue is correct.
A week or two back I received some help from members on も。e.g 何も 誰も etc.
万寿ちゃん has just been asked by 陽子ちゃん if she could keep a secret. She replies with...

組の子にもセンセにもお兄ちゃんにも、誰にもいいません。陽子ちゃん、作文に書くほうも、作文へんほうも、おしえてください。

neither my classmates, teacher or brother, I won't say anything to anyone.
please show me the right and wrong ways to write an assignment.

How is that?

She doesn't mention about "anything" in the first sentence.
作文へんほうも doesn't make sense.

I won't say it to anyone.
The speaker is asking 陽子ちゃん to tell both what she will write in the composition and what she won't.

I won't say it to anyone.
The speaker is asking 陽子ちゃん to tell both what she will write in the composition and what she won't.
Thanks. I was thinking that the ほう was like what would be good write/ what would not be good to write, that's why I interpreted as good and bad.

Back
Top Bottom