What's new

A couple of questions about a reading in Tobira

I was reading some passages in Tobira earlier today and there was a sentence I was having trouble with.
[心」には強い精神力という意味他に、人が人として持たなければならない「こころ」と言う意味が含まれている。I'm not really sure what the underlined part is trying to say. It also includes the heart/mind a person must hold as a person?

Thanks,

Ratings
Unless I'm missing something here, that sentence is explaining what meanings are included in 「心」, so basically, besides 「強い精神力という意味」, 「人が人として持たなければならない「こころ」と言う意味」is also included. About the underlined clause; I guess it's a bit awkward when written in English, but the lit. meaning would be "「こころ」is (something that) a person must have/possess as a person". Just my guess, but maybe you could interpret this as "it's something that a person must have or he/she wouldn't be considered one." or "A person without it would not be a person".
By the way, isn't there の between 意味 and 他に (意味の他に)?

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. :)

Yep, there is a の there. Your translation makes sense but 人が人として still seems weird to my English brain haha. Maybe it's a more poetic way of explaining it that doesn't come up much in beginner materials.

Thanks

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,536
Oh, no no. My reply was not to you. (I revised my previous post to avoid causing confusion.) Your interpretation is correct.:)