What's new

vgamob

Registered
Ratings
Hello,

My name is Matt and this is my situation. I do not have a degree, but I do have ten years’ experience as a technical writer working for one of Australia's largest companies.
There is a company in Japan advertising for native English speakers to come join their writing team producing material I have similar experience in. Before I go sending my CV, does anyone know if it’s likely to be a waste of time applying when I have no degree and the fact I'm 35?
I have searched the web for similar questions but all I could find was teaching English related information.
From what I could gather being over 30 and gaining employment is a challenge in itself! or is that just for teaching?

Thanks for any info :)

Matt.

Ratings
I think for foreigners the age thing is not the same as it is for Japanese people. I know of other people whom are 30+ before they got their first job in Japan. In this case it is positive discrimination :)

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Ratings
There's only one way to find out for sure. Do you really want to spend the next thirty years wondering if they might have said "yes" had you not been so afraid they'd say "no" that you didn't ask?

Sack up and apply already.

Ratings
I do not have a degree, but I do have ten years’ experience as a technical writer
Good enough for a work visa, but your employer may not realize it.

Before I go sending my CV, does anyone know if it’s likely to be a waste of time applying when I have no degree and the fact I'm 35?
Not a problem in terms of merely being qualified.

vgamob

Registered
Ratings
Thank you all for taking the time out and replying. I think I will put myself out there and see what happens, if they say no I'll keep looking and trying. Maybe someone will see the value in me and sponsor me a visa. Cheers :)