What's new

1957 Photographs, Japanese street scenes

Bunkerhill

Sempai
17 Aug 2016
Hi all!

Recently added a number of photographs depicting Japanese street scenes to my photo collection. As with so many photos regardless the origin, there is no information written on the reverse. One of the group has the photo developers month and year stamped on the margin ' Feb. 1957 ' so without that I would not have known the year.

These were most likely taken by an American soldier stationed in Japan but I can not prove that. Possibly a few photos would help identify the town or city they were taken in. I will post overall photos and then detail photos with close ups of signage. If anyone can help translate the signage it would be so appreciated.

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy WEB.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy WEB.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 243
  • Untitled-1 detail copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 detail copy.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 242
1957 young Japanese girl. Nothing to translate but I really enjoy the photo, thought some of the forum members would as well. Can not determine what is in her lap. They look like little boxes - cigarettes?
Untitled-3 WEB.jpg

1957 gentleman outside shopView attachment 26474

Seems to be in Yokosuka. This is the only photo with an address visible.

There is a shop in the same neighborhood run by someone with the sane family name today. Might be related.

I'm guessing the photo was taken within a very short distance from here:
指定した地点
Unnamed Road, 汐入町 横須賀市 神奈川県 238-0042の付近
Google マップ

As always, thank you Mike. Can you tell me what type of shop is depicted in that photo? I followed the link to the google map but not speaking Japanese I was unable to see the street view.

Yokusuka, Tokyo. Makes sense too, with the US Naval base right there.

I will post another from the group which depicts a prominent building. It might be familiar to someone on the forum and firm up the location.

As always, thank you Mike. Can you tell me what type of shop is depicted in that photo? I followed the link to the google map but not speaking Japanese I was unable to see the street view.

Yokusuka, Tokyo. Makes sense too, with the US Naval base right there.

I will post another from the group which depicts a prominent building. It might be familiar to someone on the forum and firm up the location.

School supplies, candy, and something blurry.

Yokosuka is in Kanagawa Prefecture, not Tokyo.

It is highly doubtful that any of the buildings remain from that period, or even that the contour of the land will match exactly.

There is a cosmetics shop run by someone with the same family name, Kawashima, just a stone's throw from there. I wouldn't be surprised if it was run by one of the children of whoever ran the shop in the photo.

Yeah, good job indeed! I thought the address was 汐入町二丁目四番地 2-400 Shioiri-cho, but couldn't find it on the net, so I assumed that the address was already changed. It's actually 汐入町二丁目四番地 2-44 Shioiri-cho, oh...

EDIT:
The present name of the store is (有)木下冷凍機 Kinoshita freezing machine limited company, so Kawashima family would have already moved from there.

Just remarkable - thank you, all. I always enjoy seeing where a photograph was taken many years after the fact.

Toritoribe - the address seen in the photograph is 2-44 Shioiri-cho ? I would like to add as much information to the photo's file I created and for the Flickr upload.

This is great!

Yes, the address has not changed, 神奈川県横須賀市汐入町二丁目四十四番地 2-44 Shioiri-cho, Yokosuka-shi, Kanagawa prefecture.

Back
Top Bottom