Question #13. 飛行機が出る「①まで」まだ二時間あります。食事をして「②?」 コーヒーでも飲みましょう。

Zizka

Sempai
Donor
14 Apr 2016
#13. 飛行機が出る「①まで」まだ二時間あります。食事をして「②?」
コーヒーでも飲みましょう。
Hello!
Why is ②から here? None of the three definitions I have for から seem to fit. According to my book, when a verb precedes から, it indicates the reason for something. So the reason for eating is... to drink coffee? It doesn't make sense to me.
Thanks!

から means "because" when attached to 終止形 of verbs, including conjugation forms, e.g., 食事をする, します, した, しない, したい, できる (+ から). から means "after" when attached to the -te form.

から means "after" when attached to the -te form.
That's interesting and it's not even mentioned in any of my three books about particles.

That's unbelievable.

−から
((接続助詞))
2 〔「…してから」の形で,時間の起点を示す〕

生まれてからずっとここに住んでいる
I have lived here ever since I was born.

食事を済ませてから出掛けた
After eating, we went out.

家に帰ってからが大変だった
It was after he got home that the trouble started.

後半戦になってからが,彼の腕の見せどころだった
「It was in [It wasn't until] the second half that he really started to show his stuff.

からを英語で訳す - goo辞書 英和和英

I know why I think.
I just met your explanation in another exercise I'm doing:
#25. わたし達は、横浜「①まで電車で行って「②から、バス「③に」乗り換えて、ホテル「④まで」行きましたが、ほかの人達は、そのとき「⑤まで」「⑥に」もうホテル「⑦」着いていました。
See ②. I Googled the information and what came up was てから, it seems it's approached differently than you. It's almost like てから is approached as a particle compound as opposed to being the suffix of the verb+から.
But thanks to you I got it right though!

That's the same thing. The explanation you found is the one by 学校文法(school grammar); the grammar taught in Japanese school. て in the -te form is treated as a particle in school grammar. I used "the -te form of verb + から" instead of "連用形 of verb + てから" since I suppose non-native learners are familiar with the term "-te form" rather than 連用形. You've never learned, for instance, 行っ or 飛ん as a conjugation form of 行く or 飛ぶ respectively, right?

Back
Top Bottom