What's new

~注意しておく ・ は/が

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

1) http://s24.postimg.org/e60pkv6cl/0022.jpg
He just moved and he tells Fuuka that he also has a small daughter, but she wandered off somewhere.
Fuuka eventually says this: あ じゃあ この後 私出かけますんで その時それらしい子がいないか注意しておきます

I can't tell whether ~ておく is used with this meaning ("㋐今後の用意のために、あらかじめ…する。), or this one (㋑その状態を続けさせる。そのままにする。). おく【置く】の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書
The former one seems more plausible, but I can't tell how it is different from just 注意します.

I haven't really paid attention to the difference between は and が until recently, and I have some questions I'd like to ask about it.

2) あ えーと 引っ越してきたこいわいです。よろしくー。こいつよつば
http://s4.postimg.org/4yyukuy59/0051.jpg
I thought the standard way to introduce someone is with は, but he uses が to introduce よつば. Why?

I thought that it was exhaustive が, and he is basically saying よつばはこいつだ. This means that the three girls should already have heard the name よつば before, but only the middle one has heard her name before; the other two have no idea.

My second guess is that he cannot use は because of what he said before ("We are the Koiwai family that moved here"). I think using は would mean that he changes the topic therefore Yotsuba is not part of the Koiwai family.

3) よつば:ぷはーっ こっちの牛乳うめぇな!! 父さん:いっしょだろう…
http://s10.postimg.org/r4nwqttbt/0062.jpg
Is this the contrastive は? So she is implying that the milk from where she was staying before wasn't good?
And こっちの牛乳がうめぇな!would be the neutral way to say that the milk here is good, right?

4) On the same page from the previous example. The small text in the bottom right panel
父さん:いっつも返事いいんだよな…
Is this also contrastive は? Implying that she always answers yes, but she doesn't always do as she is told.

For your first question,
I can't tell whether ~ておく is used with this meaning ("㋐今後の用意のために、あらかじめ…する。), or this one (㋑その状態を続けさせる。そのままにする。). おく【置く】の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書
The former one seems more plausible, but I can't tell how it is different from just 注意します.
I think it's the second one (continuing a certain status/condition)..."I'll keep an eye out."
The first definition/usage is to do something (once) for preparation/in advance.

I see. I thought that that meaning can only be used when you leave other objects in some state, that is why I was inclined to pick the other one. It makes much more sense now with the second meaning. Thank you!

1)
The basic idea of ~ておく is "to do something previously and keep the state". It might be for preparation or might just leave it in the state. 注意しておきます expresses "pay attention to it and keep it in my mind". The interpretation "for preparation of being able to find her when I happen to see her" is also possible, but "keep the state" is the main purpose, anyway.

2)
My impression is it's from 引っ越してきたこいわいです。(私が父で、)こいつがよつばです。 when introducing themselves. It's not so strong like "Yotsuba is not part of the Koiwai family", but I think it's because he continues the same topic as in your second interpretation.

3)
Yes, yes and no. が also has a nuance of contrastive in that case. こっちの牛乳、うめぇな is the best choice.
(cf. その服はかわいいね/その服がかわいいね vs その服、かわいいね)

4)
Right.

I see. Thank you! One more question about 3)

I can kind of see why it is better in that case to omit the particle, but then what would be the difference if よつば used が? Does は focus on the contrast more than が ?

Unlike は, it doesn't have a nuance that あっち is not good, but it's odd to be used in that context in the first place, since こっちの牛乳がうめぇな is more likely an answer to the question "Which milk is better between the two?"

Ohh, I understand now. Thanks!
I have another sentence that I am not sure about:

ふうか is taking care of よつば. よつば is drawing and ふうか is watching. よつば just drew her dad.
ふうか:それだれ?
よつば:とーちゃんだ!ふーかもなんかかけ!
ふうか:おねーちゃんうまいぞぉ―

Is this just the theme particle, so she is simply saying "I am good" without any other implications?
Because if this is contrastive は then that would mean it translates as "I am good, unlike you", which seems really mean.

It's contrastive. It should be おねーちゃん、うまいぞぉー for neutral meaning.

Hello,

1) I have another sentence with は.
http://s14.postimg.org/tke229lgh/0145.jpg
だいじょーぶだ!ジャンボこわくないぞ!
This time there isn't anything to create contrast with. So, is this the neutral way of saying "Janbo isn't scary!"?

2) I've encountered ~たりとか, and I have a few questions about it.
I thought that we either use ~たり、~たりする or ~とか、~とかする to show examples, but not both at the same time. Is there any difference between these sentences, for example?

休日は家でテレビを見たりとか、本を読んだりとかします。
休日は家でテレビを見たり、本を読んだりします。
休日は家でテレビを見るとか、本を読むとかします。

1)
Yes. She is talking about the characteristics of Jumbo, just like ウサギは耳が長い.

2)
とか shows the list is incomplete, similar to "と vs や".

~たり…たり isn't always an incomplete list, especially when the actions are done repeatedly/alternately.

昨夜は暇だったので、本を読んでテレビを見ました。(always exhaustive)
昨夜は暇だったので、本を読んだりテレビを見たりしていました。(exhaustive or incomplete)
昨夜は暇だったので、本を読んだりとかテレビを見たりとかしていました。(always incomplete)

Back
Top Bottom