What's new

~になっている ・ も ・ 適当

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

1) 温泉地には「旅館」と呼ばれる宿泊施設があります。旅館は和風のホテルです。日本的な建て物になっています。
写真解説|見てみよう|第11課 (second image, first row)
In the last sentence, is the subject "旅館 in general" or "the specific 旅館 in the image"? Judging by the sentence before it, it seems logical to be the former, but I do not think になっています can be used like that.

2) ふうか:だからね?あれは用ないのに押しちゃだめなのよ?
ふうか is saying this to よつば after よつば rang someone's doorbell for no reason.
Is も this "④極端な事物を提示し,強調する。…さえも。 「聞いたこと-ない話」 「太っ腹の社長-,今度はまいったようだ」"? (も(モ)とは - コトバンク)

3) This is about 適当. Sometimes I am not sure what it means since it seems to have 2 different meanings (てきとう【適当】の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書 #1 and #3).
a) 「ばいい」は、何らかの状況になることが適当だ、望ましいという気持ちから、相手に何かを提案したり、自分自身の願望を強く表現したりと、広い範囲に使える。(from ばいい vs がいい)
This 適当 is #1, right?

b) When you invite someone in your house and you tell them 適当に座って, is this 適当 also #1? ("Sit as it suits you")

c) http://s29.postimg.org/ks8rhd8iv/0092.jpg
I've posted before how ふうか gets into an embarrassing situation and her sister laughs at her. This is after that incident, where Yotsuba's father tries to console her.
Is テキトーななぐさめ, #3? ("Half-assed consolation")

1)
旅館は一般的には日本的な建て物になっています。 can be possible.

2)
Hmm, I don't think it's さえ.

3) a) c)
Yes.

b)
It doesn't imply 悪い意味, but means いいかげん.

1) Ahh, ok. Just to check that I am understanding なる correctly here.
旅館は日本的な建て物になっています。is just an intransitive version of (職人は)旅館を日本的な建物にしています。, right? (where AをBにする is "to make A into B")

2) It's "too/also", right?
In the dictionary, is it this one ②他にも類似の事物が存在することを言外にほのめかす形で,ある事物を提示する。 「英語-ろくにできないくせに」 「君のこと-頼んでおいた」 「心なき身に-あはれは知られけり鴫(しぎ)立つ沢の秋の夕暮れ/山家 秋」?

3) I see, thank you!

1)
なっている has different meanings from なった. It doesn't always express the result. The nuance would be closer to "to be settled".

2)
I can't find any appropriate definition there.

1) Ok, I think I understand what you mean.
2) Hmm, can you tell me what it means, please? I was sure it was one of those so I'm out of ideas.

#6 詠嘆 would be the closest. There is no comparison for 用 there, as same as あいつも大きくなったなあ or 今年もようやく暮れてきた.

The も in your 2 examples also comes from "too/as well" (even if there is no other thing that 大きくなったなあ/ようやく暮れてきた), right? I think I have something similar in my language as well. But my original sentence is a negative one, and my intuition doesn't work there.

あれは用ないのに押しちゃだめなのよ
To me, this sentence feels like あれは用も何もないのに押しちゃだめなのよ, but it doesn't seem to be the right one. Because I think this is "②他にも類似の事物が存在することを言外にほのめかす形で,ある事物を提示する。".

Could you give me some negative examples with the も that you are talking about?

They are examples of 詠嘆.

あいつも成長しないなあ。
今年もまだまだ終わらない。

Again, you seem to stick to the definition in the dictionary too much.

Ok, I understand what you mean. Trying to associate this も with "too/also" is useless. I'll just take it as 詠嘆.

A: ここに来るのも久しぶりだなー
B: 私は去年までいたからそんな感じしないなぁ
(~とうございます ・ 感じもしない | Japan Forum)
I'm curious, where does this も fit? From your answer, it seems like ②...but I'd like to know for sure.

Also, one more question. Are there any restrictions to this 詠嘆 meaning? For example: can it only be used after the subject?

I'm curious, where does this も fit? From your answer, it seems like ②...but I'd like to know for sure.
Between/Both "even" and "too/also", as I wrote.

Also, one more question. Are there any restrictions to this 詠嘆 meaning? For example: can it only be used after the subject?
Not really. 書きも書いたり,一日五千枚 or こうも暑くてはやりきれない as in the dictionary.

Thank you very much!
I was planning to ask how you can tell those two も are different, that's why I wanted to make sure what kind of も that was. But in the end, the answer is experience, right?
こうも暑くてはやりきれない as in the dictionary.
This actually helps a lot. I wasn't thinking they are the same も.

Hello,

I encountered another sentence with も, and I think it's not "too/also", "even", or anything like that, but the 詠嘆 meaning from before. I'm not sure though.

It's from that game that I am playing: Name of the creature: 宝飾のスカラベ
Flavor text: こんなにきれいな昆虫、別名は「フンコロガシ」。きれい、って何だろうな。
So is this も, 詠嘆?

Thank you both!
That meaning also passed through my head, but I chose 詠嘆 because it seemed...simpler? It seems I am bad at choosing these meanings.

You are not wrong. As a whole, I also appreciate that the sentences imply 詠嘆. But as for the も, it means 'even' like this.
'Even such a beautiful kind of insect has another name of "****-tumbling".'

Back
Top Bottom