What's new

~ていく

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

Could you please tell me if I am identifying correctly the meaning of ~ていく in the following sentences?

1) こぶのまわりに1回ひもを巻いて強くしめます。
それから、軽く巻いていきます
解説|やってみよう|第18課 (images 5 and 6)

ゆく【行く/逝く/往く】の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書
Does ~ていく have this meaning ("proceed by/with...")
物事をする。「前の方法で―・くことにする」

2) 店員さんが、商品のバーコードをピッピッとスキャンしていく
I don't have much context for this one. It is just an example sentence to demonstrate what the onomatopoeia ピッ means. マンガで見る|基本スキット|第21課

Is this also no. 9 ("proceed by/with...") >>> "The clerk is (now) going to scan the items."

I was also considering something like "The clerk will scan my items and then I will go.", but this is not possible since the subjects of スキャンする and いく must be the same, right?

They are both #14 (補助動詞)動作の継続・進行の意を表す。 since it's ~ていく. The same actions("to wind" and "to scan") are done repeatedly.

I see. Thank you!

Since we are talking about ~ていく I have a few more sentences.

1)
2)早速、首輪を外して行きましょー!!
Does ~て行きましょう mean "let's proceed by"? In other words, this doesn't show the direction of the action, right?
(~て行きましょう ・ 頭がよくって ・ っつーに ・ こう見えて | Japan Forum)

I asked this some time ago. You said that it can mean "let's proceed by...", but I am not sure what kind of いく this is. Does this ~て行きましょう also belong to the #14 meaning?

2) あーあ、つかれた。ねえ、どっかよってく
Friends, after school, are talking, and one girl asks if they want to go somewhere. SCRIPT:スクリプト|基本スキット|第5課 (first sentence)

About this 寄っていく; does いく indicate the direction of the action (away from the current position)? The site says that it is "do ... and then go" but it doesn't seem right to me.

3) ねえ!何か、食べていこうよ。
スクリプト|基本スキット|第8課 (3rd sentence)
Since it's the same structure as the first question, is this ~ていく, number #14?

1)
That's right.

2)
寄っていく shows that the place they will stop by is not the final destination, thus, "do ... and then go" is correct. どっかよる? has a similar meaning, but this expression is talking only about the way/process to the place they will stop by. They might say good-bye at the place and return home separately. However, どっかよってく? connotes they will stop by the place and go to the next place together.

3)
same as #2

Thank you! I was really off on this one. Nothing close to that meaning crossed my mind.

Back
Top Bottom