What's new

Question 痛[い]

xminus1

Sempai
Donor
27 Apr 2018
Hello, friends and Japanese experts :D; I have a question about the use of 痛 as an interjection.

In a Minna dialogue, the 先生 is almost run over by an inattentive 学生 riding his bicycle. Taken by surprise, she blurts out 「痛!」.

Minna doesn't provide any information about why she shouted this out. When asked if she was all right, she replied: 「大丈夫よ」, so I'm assuming she wasn't in pain.

Can 痛 be used as an interjection like "yikes!" or some such?

Thanks!

Incidentally, many other i-adjective stems also have the same function as an interjection, often with a small tsu (っ) at the end of it.
e.g.
熱(っ) (for instance, when touching a hot object)
寒(っ) (cold/chilly)
高(っ) (expensive or hight)
安(っ) (cheap)
怖(っ) (fear)
おいし(っ) (good taste)
まず(っ) (bad taste)
臭(っ) (bad smell)
まぶし(っ) (the glare)
小さ(っ) (too small object)
でか(っ) (too big/large object; 大き from 大きい is not used. Instead, this is from a colloquial equivalent でかい.)
少な(っ) (unexpectedly few things; The counterpart 多 is not used, either. I would use a general word すごっ or like that for unexpectedly many things.)

Incidentally, many other i-adjective stems also have the same function as an interjection, often with a small tsu (っ) at the end of it.
e.g.
熱(っ) (for instance, when touching a hot object)
寒(っ) (cold/chilly)
高(っ) (expensive or hight)
安(っ) (cheap)
怖(っ) (fear)
おいし(っ) (good taste)
まず(っ) (bad taste)
臭(っ) (bad smell)
まぶし(っ) (the glare)
小さ(っ) (too small object)
でか(っ) (too big/large object; 大き from 大きい is not used. Instead, this is from a colloquial equivalent でかい.)
少な(っ) (unexpectedly few things; The counterpart 多 is not used, either. I would use a general word すごっ or like that for unexpectedly many things.)

No need to add anything more. This cocers it excellently

I never regret asking what seems like a trivial question here at JRef...the answers from you wonderful people are always so enlightening! Thank you, Toritoribe, I am making a note of your excellent adjective/interjection examples 🆒

Back
Top Bottom