What's new

生活を送る [uses in casual conversation]

Kraise

先輩
8 Mar 2013
Hiho,

I have two questions, embedded in the same sentence.
Recently someone asked me about my week, what I've been done and things like that.
1- I answered 「...最近、とても慌しい生活を送っているんですね ...」. Its not much of a big deal but till now I've only seen this used in written language and because of it, I got worried about the nuance of that expression. The conversation went fairly well after that though. May I use it in casual conversations or should I stop?

2- I picked 慌しい instead of 忙しい. How does that sound to a japanese native? I picked that one because my life has become a mess(a positive one though), I've been working, studying, got a personal project going as well, helping my brother cause he is going to college soon , I barely have time for anything that isnt inserted in that schedule except posting my questions here

Thats it guys thank you !

Last edited:
Hey Kraise

Can't say much about #1.
But as for #2, I can't say I've heard this word very often in Japan. 忙しい seems the most used word in this context. Then again I usually stick to casual environments. So maybe depending on how "polite" you have to be you might want to choose one over the other.
Of course I'm not a native so I can't really tell you how it sounds to a native. But in normal conversation 忙しい seems to have the upper hand in sounding natural.

Anyway, those are my two cents!

In 20+ years of speaking Japanese daily I didn't even know the phrase 生活を送って and somehow 慌しい is not part of my normal vocabulary although I'm sure I've heard it before. So I think people may think you really know your stuff even if it is not something they'd typically say in conversation. (Or maybe I just never picked up on these phrases all these years and I'm the one that's deficient.)

In 20+ years of speaking Japanese daily I didn't even know the phrase 生活を送って and somehow 慌しい is not part of my normal vocabulary although I'm sure I've heard it before. So I think people may think you really know your stuff even if it is not something they'd typically say in conversation. (Or maybe I just never picked up on these phrases all these years and I'm the one that's deficient.)

This is something that bothers me a lot. Because I've never went to japan, I have only a few references of how to convey a certain idea casually, so I tend to copy constructions from books, articles, newspapers so that I can use them later on changing the original words, I believe because of this, my japanese sounds pretty stiff sometimes.
Btw you could check a few 例文 of this usage of 生活送る
here 生活を送っての英訳|英辞郎 on the WEB:アルク (assuming I'm using it correctly that is, what i'm not really sure xD)

@Richardさん
That helped a lot, if 忙しい seems to be the way to go, I'm gonna use it more. Sometimes I'm afraid to look "showy" by using words/expressions that are less used by common people.

This is something that bothers me a lot. Because I've never went to japan, I have only a few references of how to convey a certain idea casually, so I tend to copy constructions from books, articles, newspapers so that I can use them later on changing the original words, I believe because of this, my japanese sounds pretty stiff sometimes.
If this a big concern perhaps you could start spending more time watching videos. Follow some youtubers, watch some (modern) dramas or movies, etc.

生活を送る is a common 言い回し

慌しい sounds like you've lost control and are running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Not really a direct substitute for 忙しい.

生活を送る is a common 言い回し

慌しい sounds like you've lost control and are running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Not really a direct substitute for 忙しい.
I get it.
Thank you Mikeさん

Guess I should drop the 慌しい for a while, Im definitely not in that state yet.

2- I picked 慌しい instead of 忙しい. How does that sound to a japanese native? I picked that one because my life has become a mess(a positive one though), I've been working, studying, got a personal project going as well, helping my brother cause he is going to college soon , I barely have time for anything that isnt inserted in that schedule except posting my questions here
慌しい is often used, for instance, to express the atmosphere of the world in the end of the year. I think 慌しい is not a bad choice, but バタバタしている might fit your case.

Have you encountered 多忙 yet?

Yeah, but in a very formal circumstance

"ご多忙のところ、真に恐れ入りますが、なにとぞご来臨賜りますよう、お願い申し上げます"
It was supposed to be an invite letter, it was in one of my books

Back
Top Bottom