What's new

来れなくなった - to Suddenly Not Come

MrBen

Registered
8 Nov 2014
I've been led to believe that the phrase 来れなくなった means - to suddenly not come. Which is fine and dandy, but I'm struggling to see the grammatical structure here. Could any of you help pull the wool from my eyes?

Disclaimer, I'm a beginner at best, but it always irks me when I can't understand something.

Thanks in advance for your time

It should be 来れなくなった. Indeed 来れなくなった is used in conversations, but this is so-called ら抜き言葉 and considered grammatically wrong. I recommend learners against using it.

来られなくなった means "became not to be able to come".
来られない: the negative potential form of 来る
-ku form of an i-adjective + なる: to become~

Thank you, that clears things up! 来れなくなった was given as an explanation to what I can only assume was an even 'slangier' phrase. My friends are adamant I'm to learn they way they speak >.> Thank you very much for your help!

Learn the rules first, then learn to break them. Your friends no doubt mean well, but they're not doing you any favors.

Oh, I've no doubt, and I'd certainly rather learn 'by the book', as it were, and in terms of study, I try my best to, but unfortunately, I can't pick and choose my friends. However, this his given me the opportunity to learn about 'ra dropped' words, so you can bet I won;t make the same mistake twice! Every cloud has a silver lining eh?

Thanks for your advice!

If you were to come across another sentence fragment that you suspect is shortened/slang in the future, this may be useful to you: サービス終了のお知らせ
I found it a while ago while searching for the meaning of なったんなら (as written in a manga) - curiously it turns out that this stands for the shorter なったら.

Also this, specifically the section about "guyspeak": Japanese Tips

If you were to come across another sentence fragment that you suspect is shortened/slang in the future, this may be useful to you: サービス終了のお知らせ
I found it a while ago while searching for the meaning of なったんなら (as written in a manga) - curiously it turns out that this stands for the shorter なったら.

Also this, specifically the section about "guyspeak": Japanese Tips

I would think なったんなら is a shortening of なったのなら(ば)

Right. Unfortunately, the source he found is 飛騨方言(=飛騨弁)辞書 "Hida dialect dictionary". なったんなら is the n-euphonic change of なったのなら, and different from なったら in standard Japanese. For instance, the -nara conditional なったんなら/なったのなら can be used for a real fact, but the -tara conditional なったら can't.
e.g.
病気になったんなら、教えてくれればよかったのに。
In this sentence, the addressee really got sick and the speaker complained why he/she didn't tell it to the speaker. The -tara conditional 病気になったら can't be used here since 病気になった is a real fact.

Back
Top Bottom