What's new

改め直す question

killerinsidee

先輩
14 Dec 2013
I saw it in this entry しゅうせい【修正】の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書 Also へんこう【変更】の類語・シソーラス - 類語辞書 - goo辞書
I checked for the meaning of it on google since that compound verb doesn't have its dictionary entry and stumbled upon "改め直す"は二重表現ですか?? - 直すの意味5 (動詞の連用形... - Yahoo!知恵袋 which confused me a bit. According to that, 改め + -直す(connects to masu) would make it sound like you're doing 改める again, i.e., correcting something twice (2nd time after you corrected it once before).
It doesn't really add up since 修正 and 改正 definitely don't mean "correct something two times".
Maybe it can mean both (correct once and 2nd time)? : S

Thanks.

Last edited:
From, 変更 and 改正

「改定」は、一度決めたことを定め直すときに使う。 that seems a lot like 改め直す to me.

If my understanding isnt lacking, dict.goo's explanation isnt that "修正" means 再度ものを正す, but that it applies to a possible N number of fixes you're applying to something.
I'd like to wait for a Tutor's explanation too, though.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by that.
Also, I'm not really questioning what 修正 means.

It seems to me that that's 改め直すこと, not a compound verb.
You're referring to the dictionary entries, right? I guess it's more common for dictionaries to use 連用形 over the て form and 改めて could be confused for the adverb in this case.
Since 改める and 直す have kind of similar meanings (改める - 悪い点を直してよりよいものにする), does 改める have some different meaning here then?
Also, just to confirm, 改め直す in that yahoo question is the compound verb meaning - "correct again"?

Last edited:
((Maybe Tori is referring to an adverbial usage of 改め,
Btw sorry for the previous answer, I misunderstood it.

I mean, instead of 改め直す、as a compound verb in the sense of 再度ものを正す. It seems more likely an usage of 改めて、直すこと. *改めて has its own dictionary entry.

Checking the provided explanation from dict.goo, within the former words(修正 and 改正) ,
改正's explanation kind of examples it:

「改定」は、一度決めたことを定め直すときに使う -> 一度決めたことを 改めて 定める* 時に使う

Since 改める and 直す have kind of similar meanings (改める - 悪い点を直してよりよいものにする), does 改める have some different meaning here then?
Yes.
4 正しいかどうか詳しく調べて確かめる。吟味する。
あらためる【改める】の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書

Also, just to confirm, 改め直す in that yahoo question is the compound verb meaning - "correct again"?
Yes.

Back
Top Bottom