What's new

思われる(自発)

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

I found out a few days ago that 思われる is not considered passive, but 自発. My understanding of 自発 is that it shows "the action occurs by itself and not because someone does it". This definition doesn't make sense in the case of 思われる, but I think I get the idea when I think that 聞こえる、見える and some intransitive verbs (like 沸く, 掛かる) also have this 自発 meaning.

But even though 思われる presents something from an objective viewpoint, it is still usually used to talk about your own ideas, right?
For example: 私にはこのことが正しいとは思われません。. Even if 私には were omitted, the sentence would still translate as "To me, this doesn't seem right".?

私にはこのことが正しいとは思われません。 sounds awkward to me. 思えません would be usually used instead. It's no problem with 私には正しいように思われます probably because this is a kind of 婉曲表現; softening the speaker's insistence.

It was an example sentence for ~とおもわれる from that book I've posted images from lately. Is 思えません more common than 思われません, or is it just this sentence in particular?

Anyway, I also wanted to ask if there are cases where it doesn't refer to the speaker's own ideas. For example:

このままの状態では環境汚染は進む一方だと思われる。
光の速さを超えるのは、不可能だと思われる。
Do these sentences imply that the speaker thinks what is stated before と思われる is true? Or is he simply stating that many people believe something?

Last edited:
Is 思えません more common than 思われません, or is it just this sentence in particular?
I think 思える is more commonly used in those cases nowadays. This 思える is also 自発. 思われる would be more likely an objective expression in a written language; such like 彼には真実のように思われた.

Anyway, I also wanted to ask if there are cases where it doesn't refer to the speaker's own ideas. For example:

このままの状態では環境汚染は進む一方だと思われる。
光の速さを超えるのは、不可能だと思われる。
Do these sentences imply that the speaker thinks what is stated before と思われる is true? Or is he simply stating that many people believe something?
Many people including the speaker think so. If it's just a general idea without the speaker's thoughts, 思われている is used.

I think 思える is more commonly used in those cases nowadays. This 思える is also 自発. 思われる would be more likely an objective expression in a written language; such like 彼には真実のように思われた.
Regarding the difference between 思える and 思われる...思える is a subjective expression as opposed to 思われる which is objective? So 思える doesn't have this ["many people think so"] meaning?

Many people including the speaker think so. If it's just a general idea without the speaker's thoughts, 思われている is used.
I see, thank you!

One more question. Is 考えられる also 自発 in the next paragraph? The author offers reasons for why people (except for close friends) nowadays meet at restaurants or cafes instead of their home.
原因のひとつは住宅事情であろう。限られた空間では、お客用の部屋を別にとる余裕がない。また、一般に忙しくなって、人の家にあがりこんでゆっくり話しをする機会が少なくなった。それに、家事に費やす時間が大幅に減ったことも考えられる

Regarding the difference between 思える and 思われる...思える is a subjective expression as opposed to 思われる which is objective? So 思える doesn't have this ["many people think so"] meaning?
Yes.

One more question. Is 考えられる also 自発 in the next paragraph? The author offers reasons for why people (except for close friends) nowadays meet at restaurants or cafes instead of their home.
原因のひとつは住宅事情であろう。限られた空間では、お客用の部屋を別にとる余裕がない。また、一般に忙しくなって、人の家にあがりこんでゆっくり話しをする機会が少なくなった。それに、家事に費やす時間が大幅に減ったことも考えられる
It would be potential.

Back
Top Bottom