What's new

寒暖計  vs 温度計

4 Apr 2014
While 体温計 is obviously a medical thermometer, i'm at a loss with the other two. Judging from the kanji used, my assumption is that 寒暖計 is used to measure the air temperature and 温度計 is used for everything else, like water temperature. Please clear it to me.

A look at Google images for each of these words should be pretty illustrative. A 寒暖計 is basically a wall thermometer for measuring the air temperature (as you surmised). 温度計 is the general word for thermometer and it encompasses 体温計, 寒暖計, and several other types.

A list of different thermometer types:
温度計 - Wikipedia

I see. So if for example i don't know a word for 水温計, can i still call it a 温度計?

水の温度計 would be understood, I think.

寒暖計 was a new vocabulary item for me. I've never encountered it before.

Why wouldn't you call a 水温計 a 水温計?
Because i didn't know such specific word even exists. Now suppose there is a special word for a thermometer for measuring the temperature of sake, like, let's say 酒温計(しゅおんけい). I may call it a 日本酒の温度計 as Mike suggested above and still be understood.

You can find so many specific temperature meters from google search results such like 湯温計, 室温計, 油温計, 雪温計, 芯温計, 穀温計...
寒暖計 might not be so common nowadays, but old people relatively often used to use the word.

Because i didn't know such specific word even exists. Now suppose there is a special word for a thermometer for measuring the temperature of sake, like, let's say 酒温計(しゅおんけい). I may call it a 日本酒の温度計 as Mike suggested above and still be understood.
Oh. You meant if you didn't know the word. Then yes of course you can describe it and be understood. I was confused because 水温 is a common word so this particular one is natural and intuitive.

You can find so many specific temperature meters from google search results such like 湯温計, 室温計, 油温計, 雪温計, 芯温計, 穀温計...

Wow, i couldn't even imagine there is demand for such specific devices as 穀温計. Interesting.

Thank you guys. I feel like thermometer connoisseur now.

Back
Top Bottom