What's new

困る事/困った事

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

Is there any difference between 困る事 and 困った事?
In the dictionary, it says that 困った is used to modify nouns, but 困ること also gives a lot of results with google.
(③(「困った」の形で連体修飾語として用いて)不都合である。 「君も-・ったことをしてくれたものだ」 「そんな調子ではあとで-・ったことになるぞ」(困る(コマル)とは - コトバンク)

For example: (動画の再生|応用スキット|第23課 - at about 2/3 of the bar, right after Erin and her mother go in)
めぐみ:どうしよう。
かおる:そんなにこまること
Is it any different from 困ったこと?

Similarly, some sentences from the dictionary (困るの英語・英訳 - goo辞書 英和和英):
困ったことに彼は思いやりがない = The trouble is that he is not considerate of others.
困った天気だね = What bad [wretchedterrible] weather!
困ったことになった = We are in an awkward [embarrassing] position./〔皮肉に〕Things have come to a pretty pass./This is a nice business, indeed!/((米口)) This is a fine how-do-you-do.
困った顔をして入ってきた = He came in with a distressed [troubled] look.
Would the meaning be different if 困る was used instead of 困った?

There is one sentence that I think would be different:
困った子[やつ]だ = He is 「a problem child [a nasty fellow].
Here, it looks like 困る子だ becomes "He is a troubled child.".

The full sentence what Kaoru intended to say is "(僕たち)二人のことを知られるのはそんなに困ること?" i.e., "二人のことを知られると困る?".
困る and 困った are not interchangeable in the examples you listed. It's not "what is the difference in meaning?" but "you can't use it" since 困ったこと is used as a kind of set phrase there.

Thank you!
I got the idea that 困った子 would have a different meaning than 困る子 from here: 「困った人」 と「困る人」との違いを教えていた... - 日本語 | Yahoo!知恵袋
「困った人」 とは、自分は困らないで、まわりの人を困らせるひと;
「困る人」とは、何かのお陰で、困る人のこと。
もちろん、「困る人」の過去形は当然あります。
震災で「困った人」のように。
Is this not right?

Well, then, why do you think 困る子だ becomes "He is a troubled child." ?

I got it wrong, didn't I?
I thought that "「困る人」とは、何かのお陰で、困る人のこと。" translates as "[困る人] means a person troubled by something.", but it's actually "[困る人] means a person that (usually) gets troubled by something.", right?

Last edited:
No, I am talking about 困る人. Then, if both can be 困る人, doesn't this mean that 困る子だ。can also be "Troubled child"?

No, as in the dictionary "「困った」の形で連体修飾語として用いて".

To clarify, by "a person troubled by something" I meant "a person that is being troubled (now/ at present time) by something". I think it would be 困っている in japanese. I didn't realize immediately, but were you talking about this part when you asked about 困っている?

Really? It seems to me that the problem is on 'if both can be 困る人, doesn't this mean that 困る子だ。can also be "Troubled child"?' , not "困る vs. 困っている". I still can't get why you thought "Troubled child" can be 困る子.

I thought that 困る子 could be "troubled child" because i thought that this was one of those cases where the tense of the verb wouldn't make much difference. Actually, I couldn't imagine another meaning for 困る子 before your #4 post, where I realized my mistake.

Back
Top Bottom