What's new

呟きや起ってるような口調

Ratings
Hello there once again guys,

Im still around studying, working and worrying about my JLPT by december, decided to take a break from 朝日新聞 and started to watch movies and doramas trying to improve my ability to recognize and process spoken japanese. I must say, my comprehension is somewhat irregular, a south Park episode in japanese is ok, less frequent words are a hassle (屈辱、報復), but i cant comprehend much when someone is crying, furious or just muttering(besides The almost mandatory このやろう as an ending expression if The movie has some 不良語)

Now Id like to ask once again, its a matter of exposure? Is there a way to sharpen my ears so that even bad pronouncing wont kill The communication?

Sorry for bringing this subject I know its a lot more complex than explaining grammar entries, Im kind of obsessed with my listening and due to this I still get impatient whenever i miss a Word.

Thankyou guys.

Ratings
It is just exposure, for the most part. In this case you might be finding that the fact you're not used to the particular sort of language being used is causing additional problems. (Does it help to know that something like ふざけんなこのやろう! is unlikely to turn up in the JLPT? Although sometimes people sniff or cough or whatever during the listening).

The one thing to check is if the issue is that you know the words/grammar but you're not catching it because they're speaking too fast or yelling over music or whatever, or not. That is, could you understand a transcript of the same show without looking stuff up?

I know this is me banging on my favourite drum, but try more non-fiction. Something like travel programs or food shows or whatever. There's a quite funny series on youtube where a couple of guys travel around New Zealand basically just with a car and a couple of cameras, I'll dig it up if you're interested.

On the specifically JLPT side of things: have you ever tried J-CAT? To my memory their question style is similar to the JLPT (although they don't have separate levels, I think it's one of those that adjusts question difficulty depending on how much you got right previously).

Ratings
Hi nekojita

I can definitely follow these shows with a transcript in hands(thats in fact what ive been doing lately, I managed to find some chinese blogs with transcripts of the dorama "my boss my hero" for example).

I dont want to be a nuisance, but Im definitely interested in this youtube chanel you talked about.

I'll also check Jcat, didnt know about it before.

Super thank you again. :)

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Ratings
Everything is a matter of exposure.

You can't expect to do well on listening without doing lots of listening. You can't expect to do well on reading without doing lots of reading.

Listen, listen, listen, then listen some more.

Read, read, read, read, then read some more.

Ratings
Mike,

Im afraid your comment holds an universal truth I probably got to whiny to accept, I should "stockpile" a lot more of study hours, hundreds of it, If I am to get any further in japanese . This search for a method is maybe The Way one finds to get rid of The responsability of working harder I think...

Thank you!!

Edit: Hey thanks again Nekojita