What's new

出たて / あたらせた / 急速な進化を遂げた / 今度ははその灯り

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. 彼は大学を出たてのほやほやだ。

What is 出たて? Is たて = 立て? What is the meaning?

2. 政府は委員会を設けてその事故の解明にあたらせた。

Is あたらせた = 当たらせた? Is it saying that the government caused the committee to perform the action 解明にあたる? (Literally, I mean. I'm not suggesting that this would be a natural way to express it in English.)

3. コンピューターは急速な進化を遂げた。

The translation given for this is "Computers have made rapid progress." I thought it meant "Computers have brought about rapid change." Is my interpretation possible?

4. ハグリッドの小屋の窓に灯りが点り、さっき芝生を横切っていくのを見た人影が、今度ははその灯りを受けてシルエットを見せている。

What is 今度ははその灯り? Is it just a misprint for 今度はその灯り?

1. The masu-stem of a verb followed by たて means that the verb was only just done (see this page under "Suffix" for some examples). So, he only just got out of university.

There's a similar-sounding pattern where you take the te-form of a verb and replace the final て by たって (or the final で by だって). For as far as I can tell the result of this has the same meaning as te-form + も, but it's entirely possible there's some difference in nuance I'm not aware of.

3. If you look at the definition of 遂げる, it means "to accomplish", "to arrive at" etc.; not "help others accomplish" or "bring about".

4. Looks like a typo to me as well.

There's a similar-sounding pattern where you take the te-form of a verb and replace the final て by たって (or the final で by だって).
"The past form + って/The -te form + も" and "the -masu stem + たて" are completely different for godan verbs.
e.g.
焼きたてのパン(=焼いたばかりのパン)
vs.
焼いたって/焼いても

4)
今度はは is no doubt a typo, as already answered, but さっき芝生を横切っていくのを見た人影が also has a problem. 人影 is usually (or almost always) interpreted as the subject of 見た in this clause, even the 人影's action mentioned previously in the context. It should be さっき芝生を横切っていくのが見えた人影が.

"The past form + って/The -te form + も" and "the -masu stem + たて" are completely different for godan verbs.
I wrote it as "て→たって" rather than "past+って" to account for the negative of this pattern: 出なかったって 出なくたって.

And yes, for godan verbs it's different from stem+たて, but for ichidan (like in this case) it's similar. Just wanted to make sure that when eeky encounters 出たって at some point, he knows it's not necessarily a typo of 出たて :)

Back
Top Bottom