What's new

入られて / 中 / 歳 / 才 / 乗せられる

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. 「外でお待ちになってお出迎えなさるかな?それとも城中に入られて、ちと、暖を取られますかな?」

a) Are 入られて and 取られますhonorific forms of 入る(はいる) and 取る respectively?

b) Is 中 in 城中 pronounced ちゅう (or じゅう)? Can 中 be pronounced なか when it directly follows a noun like this?

2. Are 歳 and 才 interchangeable when they occur after a number to express someone's age? Is there any difference in nuance?

3. 乗せられるのは100キロがマックスです。

This is a perennial question of mine, so sorry for the repetition. Is 乗せられる passive or potential of 載せる? I.e., does 乗せられるの mean "what (one) can load" or "what is loaded"?

1) a)
Yes.

b)
じょうちゅう is more common, but しろなか would be barely acceptable. The meanings are the same between these two, but しろじゅう has different meaning from them (therefore it can't be read しろじゅう here).
かと思うと | Japan Forum

Yes for the latter question (e.g. 町中[まちなか]).

2)
Yes and no. They are the same.

3)
That's potential because of マックスです. That sentence is explaining about maximum loading weight. It's passive if that's 乗せられるのは100キロの犬です. (Well, this actually can be potential in some context, though.)

Thanks,

1b) With ~中, are "kun-reading + ちゅう/じゅう" or "on-reading + なか" readings possible in any cases?

Thanks,

1b) With ~中, are "kun-reading + ちゅう/じゅう" or "on-reading + なか" readings possible in any cases?

The former is definitely possible, as toritoribe-san explained above:

じょうちゅう is more common, but しろなか would be barely acceptable. The meanings are the same between these two, but しろじゅう has different meaning from them (therefore it can't be read しろじゅう here).

The meaning of しろじゅう would be something similar to 部屋中 (へやじゅう) in 部屋中がいい香りになる or 部屋中が盛大に荒らされていた, if that helps you puzzle it out.
明日中 (あしたじゅう・あすじゅう・あしたちゅう・あすちゅう) would also be an example of kun+ちゅう/じゅう.

The meaning of しろじゅう would be something similar to 部屋中 (へやじゅう) in 部屋中がいい香りになる or 部屋中が盛大に荒らされていた, if that helps you puzzle it out.
Possibly I didn't quite grasp what Toritoribe meant. I was thinking that しろじゅう just meant something else unrelated. Are you saying that 城中 can be read as しろじゅう in some contexts but it has different connotations to しろなか?

中 means "throughout", not "inside", when it's read じゅう as in the thread I linked above. This じゅう can be attached also to on'yomi words. Hiragana じゅう is sometimes used for this meaning in order to make clear the meaning.
e.g.
町中[まちじゅう]
家中[いえじゅう]
The rest, "kun'yomi + ちゅう" and "on'yomi + なか", don't exist, I think.

Just to make sure, しろなか is rare, as I wrote. This reading sounds classical.

Back
Top Bottom