What's new

何吠えてるんだ

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

I was trying to watch Chi's Sweet Home and I heard this phrase that I would translate differently than the given translation. Here is a link to it, at 1:13 : .
I hear びっくりした。何吠えてるんだ。It is translated as if it were 何を吠えてるんだ, as if he wants to say "What is she saying?" (言葉わからない).
But I get this feeling that he is saying "Why is she barking?", with 何 being like なんで.

I have seen before, in manga, 何 translated as "why/なんで", and I think it was when people were very surprised. I wish I had written down the sentences somewhere, but unfortunately I didn't, so I can't provide other examples.

In the manga, on the other hand, he says なにほえてうんだろ? = 何吠えてるんだろ?. This is "I wonder what she is saying (barking)", right?

I would treat it as "what the hell is she yelling about?" Or "what the hell is she yelling at me for?"

Ah, so it is 何を吠えてるんだ, but I misunderstood what を吠える actually means. Then, 何吠えてるんだろ? means "I wonder what she is barking about?", too, right?
Thank you very much! I was really fixated on this.

I think you're missing the difference between using とand を in such situations.

Yes, I was confusing those two. If I understand it correctly now, なんと吠えてるんだ is the one that means "What is she barking/saying?".

Back
Top Bottom