What's new

中二病 sentence translation help

Kemonodomo

Registered
11 Feb 2015
「私に出来ぬことも、成れぬ地位も、倒せぬ敵も、落とせぬ女も、得られぬ財もなかったが、余人であればたとえどれだけ小さな山でも、越えたときに感じるだろう歓喜、興奮、胸の高鳴り……それが私には欠落していたと気付かされた。」

Oh god, how do I even start with this?? If someone could help translate this and walk me through the steps (particularly the grammatical ones), that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Start with this bit:
「それが私には欠落していた」と気付かされた
(hint それ = 歓喜、興奮、胸の高鳴り )

verb~ぬ is negatif form that is old and rarely used.
it's made by replace suffix ない from verb~ない with ぬ, exception for irreguler verb like する=>せぬ or くる=>こぬ
出来る(can) => 出来ない(cannot) => 出来ぬ(cannot)
倒す(defeat) => 倒せる(can defeat) => 倒せない(cannot defeat) => 倒せぬ(cannot defeat)
so '私に出来ぬこと' means 'things that I cannot do', '倒せぬ敵' means 'enemy that I cannot defeat'

it's made by replace suffix ない from verb~ない with ぬ, exception for irreguler verb like する=>せぬ or くる=>こぬ
Sorry for nitpicking, but する(ない vs ぬ/ず) is the only exception. (cf. ない vs ぬ/ず)

The length of the sentence may seem intimidating, but for the most part it consists of elaborate lists of items to illustrate the point. Its top level structure is simply the following: 私に...なかった、...は欠落していたと 気付かされた. i.e.: "For me, there was no such thing as ... or ... or ..., but I was made to notice that I was lacking ... and ... and ...".

To the left of the が, the speaker lists up all the things that make him amazing. There is nothing he cannot do, no social status he cannot attain, no woman he cannot seduce etc. As Jackyquah pointed out, the main grammatical items here are the potential form, the use of -ぬ instead of -ない and noun-modifying verbs.

To the right of it, he describes what he is lacking: feelings of excitement. As a modifier to this, he adds that other people *would* have these feelings, even for very small achievements - literally "when overcoming a mountain that's however small". Grammatical items of note here are the conditional form of です (で ある -> で あれば), again noun-modifying verbs (感じるだろう) and the passive causative:
Plain 気付く "notice"
-> Short causative 気付かす "make someone notice" (there's also the long causative 気付かせる which has the same meaning)
-> Short causative passive 気付かされる "be made to notice"
-> Past short causative passive 気付かされた "was made to notice"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom