What's new

もとになる / ても

killerinsidee

先輩
14 Dec 2013
Hi, I have an another help request.

1. 人間の体の中にあって,広く精神活動をつかさどるもとになると考えられるもの。/ 人間の精神作用のもとになるもの。

These are the dictionary entries for 心, I'm just wondering about the もとになる part. I'm not sure which もと meaning is used here and also what's with になる.

2. From 二ノ国マジックマスター (for context: 魔法で取り出すことのできる心のカケラは、勇気、やさしさ、夢、信じる、がまん、やる気、愛、自信と8種類ある。) 一見すばらしいものばかりに見えるが、多すぎてもたいへんなことになる。

I don't see how 多すぎても fits here. I would expect just a normal conditional (e.g. 多すぎると、多すぎたら). The sentence should roughly mean "At a glance they seem to be wonderful (things/qualities), but if there's too much of them, it can lead to something awful."
E.g., too much 自信 → 過信.
It feels to me like this is not the usual ても (even if, although) usage. Random thought - I don't know if this makes any sense, but could this be ては used to present something as a topic, followed by a some negative comment/outcome, but with も instead for emphasis (e.g. 君が来てくれなくては困る。)? Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

I moved the post again.:)

1)
もと【本】
2 〔物事の根本〕
すべて本を正さねばならない
Everything must be corrected from the ground up.
もと【本】の英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - goo辞書

もと【基】
【例文】
この小説は事実を基にして書かれたものだ
This novel is based on fact.
何を基にして私を疑うのか
On what grounds do you suspect me?
もと【基】の英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - goo辞書

2)
Those are the -te form for cause/reason and も as "too/also", thus, 多すぎても implies 少なすぎても/なくてもたいへん.

少なすぎても/なくてもたいへんだし、多すぎてもたいへんなことになる

About 1) I still don't understand what's with になる there. "Thing that becomes a base/basis that controls 精神活動" ? Is it meant in a habitual action sense? Like, whenever some 精神活動、etc. is to occur → 心 = もとになる. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I can't think of anything else in this case. :( If it was もとのもの or もとというもの or something instead, I wouldn't think twice about it.

~になる doesn't always mean "to become". It's the same as もとになっているもの there.

人間の精神作用のもとになるもの
base/basis/grounds of 人間の精神作用

Back
Top Bottom