What's new

はありますか vs がありますか?

If I wanted to ask "Do you have a fever?" would 熱はありますか? or 熱がありますか? sound more natural?
What would be the difference between the two?
Edit: I asked some native speakers and they said they don't use がありますか very often.
Why is that?

Thank you!

Last edited:
For the 熱はありますか I thought it indicated some kind of contrast so the actual sentence would be (あなたは)熱はありますか?
And for the 熱がありますか I thought the が was forced into it because the actual topic is あなたは so the sentence had to be (あなたは)熱がありますか?
Is my way of thinking correct?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,537
Here's just a rough explanation about the difference.
は, が and を what's the difference between the following sentences? | Japan Forum

As Glenn-san said in the thread, this is perhaps the hardest part about Japanese for English speakers. An entire book is written just for this problem, or a famous linguist dedicated his whole life to figuring out the function of は and が. I recommend using a decent textbook instead of leaning just from internet.

As for the difference between 熱はありますか and 熱がありますか, the question asking if you have a fever or not is often used in a series of questions for health check, therefore the topic marker は (as for / how about?) is more commonly used (but there exists situations 熱がありますか is more appropriate, of course).