What's new

ので Marking please :)

Dante17

先輩
3 Dec 2013
Hi there! I've just done three sentences after learning about how to use ので and would really appreciate them being marked :)

1) I am tired, because I am busy every day.

2) I came to Japan, because I wanted to study Japanese.

3) I like her, because she is kind.

My answers:

Apologies for lack of Kanji! (Not reached it yet in my book)

1) まいにちいそがしいの、つかれています。

2) にほんごをべんきょうしたかったので、にほんにいきました。

3) かのじょはやさしいので、すきです。

ありがとうございます!

In the first answer you missed the で after the の. Other than that everything looks fine.

I don't know, but the third sentence sounds kinda strange to me. Feels like the ので is not the best choice for a sentence like this.
Maybe it's just my imagination. Wouldn't be やさしくて be better?

And the second sentence ...mhm: doesn't it sound like you wanted to study Japanese but now (after coming to Japan) you don't want to anymore? But isn't your English sentence more like: I wanted to study Japanese, so I came to Japan and now I'm studying it? I think, I wouldn't have used past tense in the first part of the Japanese sentence.

Please someone corrects me, if I'm wrong, I'm a learner like everybody else and may be talking random bullshit here (and embarrassing myself in my first post in this forum). 👎

Whether the sentences are meaningful/natural or not doesn't really matter - the OP received an exercise/homework on the topic of ので, which involves translating given English sentences into Japanese sentences that must use ので somewhere.

But no matter, welcome to the forum :)

2)
Both the past form にほんごをべんきょうしたかったので and the present form にほんごをべんきょうしたいので are correct, and there is no difference in meaning between these two forms in this case. The past form just expresses the speaker's feelings at that time and doesn't always mean they don't have it anymore.
The problem is on にほんにいきました. いく shows that you are not in Japan now. You have to use きました here.

3)
The awkwardness is from collocation, not from the meaning. ので is preferred in formal sentences or written language, so かのじょはやさしいから、すきです。 sounds more natural in casual speech. (かのじょはやさしいので、すきです。 is not wrong, of course.)

@ Toritoribe
thanks a lot for clarifying this and for the correction with いきました vs きました. :)! How would the whole sentence sound with やさしくて (かのじょはやさしくて、すきです)? Does it make a difference? Truth be told, I don't feel very confident about using -て as a cause marker.

@ lanthas
it may be not necessary for a total beginner to dig into all this too much, but for other learners on a upper beginner/intermediate level questioning stuff like this can be helpful to achieve a deeper understanding or a better feeling for the language. I don't see a problem, if user other than the OP benefit from their threads or even ask further questions. :D

やさしくて also works well. The -te form can express the cause/reason of the main clause, as same as から or ので.
e.g.
かのじょはやさしくてすきです。
かのじょはやさしいからすきです。
かのじょはやさしいのですきです。

このまちはきれいで、きにいっています。
このまちはきれいだから、きにいっています。
このまちはきれいなので、きにいっています。

The -te form has many functions, for instance, just continuing clauses, showing means, adversative conjunction, so sometimes it could be unclear what the subordinate clause means. That's one of the reasons why から or ので is preferred in this case.

Thanks again!!! I like how you explain things in a short and easy to understand way :geek:

Back
Top Bottom