What's new

のでは / で / なり

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
1. しかし、「危険生物処理委員会」がマルフォイの言いな りで、もう意思を固めたのでは、と、ハリーはいやな予感でぞっとした。

While I understand basically what this means, the reason why のでは is there eludes me.

2. バックビークは必ず殺されると自身たっぷりで、自分がそのように しむけたことが愉快でたまらないとマルフォイが嘲って いたことを、ハリーは人づてに聞いた。

I understand the individual words and much of the meaning of the individual phrases, but I cannot understand the overall grammatical and semantic structure of the first part バックビークは必ず殺されると自身たっぷりで、自分がそのように しむけたことが愉快でたまらないと. Is the main structure ~で~でたまらないと, for example? What is the purpose of the でs?

3. ハリーは緊張して少しやりすぎてしまい、相手のロンは笑いの 発作が止まらなくなり、静かな部屋に隔離され、一時間 休んでからテストを受ける始末だった。

That's なり = 成り, right? I mean, it can't be the particle in that position, right?

1. Think this is basically a short form of ~たのではない (rhetorical question not an actual negative)

2. I take it as two quotes of things Malfoy had been saying, 自信たっぷりで (I presume that's a typo up there) refers to how he was speaking. The second is just connecting between 愉快 to たまらない
「バックビークは必ず殺される」と自信たっぷりで 「自分がそのようにしむけたことが愉快でたまらない」と

3. Yes, ~なくなる in masu-stem form, can't see how it could be anything else.

1)
固めたのではない makes sense?
(The part preceding と is the quotation of Harry's thoughts/question in his mind.)

1. (Maybe overlapping what nekojita san already wrote)
もう意思を固めたのでは(ないか)と

---
Edit: Haha, Toritoribe san beat me! :)

Thanks very much for the replies.

Yeah, sorry, it should be 自信 not 自身.

In (2), is the で before たまらない the -て form of the copula? Is it ~が愉快だ + たまらない -> ~が愉快でたまらない?

"-Te form of adjective/verb + たまらない" is an idiom.
e.g.
暑くてたまらない
お腹が空いてたまらない

愉快だ is a na-adjective, so it's better to consider it as "-te form of na-adjective", not "noun + copula". (Although the etymologies of the two でs are actually the same.)

Back
Top Bottom