なられた / させられる / たり / ピックピク / 誰か

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. 「あなたは、三年もかかってやっとお気づきになられたようですけどね、ロン、だからと言って、ほかの誰も私が女の子だと気づかなかったわけじゃないわ!」

Is なられた an honorific form of なった?

2. このダンスパーティは、それほどの価値もないのに、余計な心配ばかりさせられると思った。

Who or what is the subject of させられる? How can one translate the sentence into English so that させられる has a literal translation to an English phrase?

3. これからは、フレッドやジョージからポテトチップ一枚たりとももらわないほうがいいと、ハリーは心に刻んだ。

What is this たり? Does it mean "things such as ..."?

4. 「小さなイタチがピックピクだわね、マルフォイ?」

Is ピックピク a noun?

5. 「誰か車の中にいるのですか」

This is translated as "Who is in the car?", but I made it "Is there anyone in the car?" Am I correct?

1. Yes. Notice the significance in her deliberate choice of different ways of expressing 気付く depending on who she's talking to/about. (お気づきになる vs 気づく)

3. "Not so much as a single potato chip". The presence of 一枚 is key in interpreting the nuance.

5. I agree with your interpretation.

Last edited:
2)
The subject is the same person as the subject of 思った.
I am / He/She is forced to worry about the dance party. (= The dance party forces/makes me/him/her nervous.)

3)
たり is a classical auxiliary verb for assertion, and とも is a conditional particle, thus, たりとも is equivalent to であっても or でも.
たり for listing examples is from a classical auxiliary verb for the perfect tense. This たり isn't attached to nouns.

4)
This kind of onomatopoeia is usually categorized to adverb. ピックピクだ can be considered to express ピックピクしている.
e.g.
心臓がドキドキだ。 (= 心臓がドキドキしている。)

4)
This kind of onomatopoeia is usually categorized to adverb. ピックピクだ can be considered to express ピックピクしている.
Thanks, I didn't know that "subj. が adv. だ" was grammatically possible. Is the pattern possible with any adverb, or only with these kinds of onomatopoeic adverb?

need confirmation. ( whether I understand it right or wrong)
does 'これからは、フレッドやジョージからポテトチップ一枚たりとももらわないほうがいいと、ハリーは心に刻んだ' means 'From now, Hari engrave into his heart that it is better that he do not accept from fred and john even if it is a potato chip. ' ?

need confirmation. ( whether I understand it right or wrong)
does 'これからは、フレッドやジョージからポテトチップ一枚たりとももらわないほうがいいと、ハリーは心に刻んだ' means 'From now, Hari engrave into his heart that it is better that he do not accept from fred and john even if it is a potato chip. ' ?
Yes, I believe that you have essentially understood the meaning correctly. (The English is slightly imperfect. The name is spelled "Harry". The literal translation "engrave into his heart" sounds a bit too extreme for the situation. Also 刻んだ is past tense. )

Thanks, I didn't know that "subj. が adv. だ" was grammatically possible. Is the pattern possible with any adverb, or only with these kinds of onomatopoeic adverb?
Adverbs that express state (e.g. びっくり, 広々, すぐ, ゆっくり) can be used like that, since their functions are close to adjectives.

Back
Top Bottom