What's new

と話す ・ っていうか。

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

1) 佐竹まゆ先生です。「体をこすることによって、とてもあったかくなり、ひふもじょうぶになるので、かぜをひかない体になると思う」と話しています
http://s27.postimg.org/jbqcqomc3/image.png or 写真解説|見てみよう|第16課(1st column, 5th row)

I'm a little unsure how the nuance of the sentence would change if it were と言っています instead of と話しています.
a) Firstly, 話しています implies that she said something to someone, as opposed to 言っています which would only mean that she uttered that sentence, right? In this case, would the 相手 be the interviewer/reporter?
b) By using 話しています, is it emphasized that the interviewer and the girl are having a conversation?
So, if I get this right, then 話しています vs 言っています would be like "she told us..." vs "she said...".

2) It's around 10 degrees outside. The interviewer asks the kids if they are cold.
kid A: さむくない。
kib B: さむくないっていうか
動画の再生|見てみよう|第16課
I can't link you to the specific time in the video so I will post this image so you can get an idea where the slider should be. View image: 無題

How is っていうか used here. I know that it is used when you want to rephrase something or you are unsure how to say something but the way the kid uses it here doesn't fit either.
It seems to me like he is upset with what kidA said, because he thinks that it's not just "not cold" it is actually "hot". So something like:
kidA: It's not cold.
kidB: "It's not cold"? (Are you kidding me? It's hot!)

I've met people that use っていうかin a similar way recently, so far, I've been "accepting it" as a slight negation of what has been said before, followed by a more appropriated idea replacing it. Thus, I think you've figured out the meaning already, but to add something else to my reply, A friend of mine talking to another one ,once said something around the lines of (If I recall correctly) [えー智也、料理よくできる] and got a [つうか、サバイバルだけ] as a response. ([I'm not good at cooking, I just know enough to "survive"], as a matter of contextualization 智也 had just moved to a new house and is living alone)

I was just an observer at that time, but my interpretation was: the use of というか, denied what has been said by the other party and then rephrased it.

If by any means, a more seasoned forum member happen to correct me too, I'd be grateful

Last edited:
1)
There must be the one(s) the speaker is talking to in "contentsと話しています" as in your example, but personに話しています and personに言っています are almost the same.

2)
The kid B is not the one who said 暑い, but his intention is something like "it's more likely..." as in "when you want to rephrase something". I don't think he is upset, though.

1) Thank you!
I'd like to ask a similar question about (掛け)声をかける. This one also needs to be directed at someone, as opposed to (掛け)声を出す, right?
大きなかけ声をかけながら、みんなでいっしょにグラウンドを走ります。
View image: キャプチャ
写真解説|見てみよう|第12課 (2nd column, 2nd row)

In the sentence above, who is the subject (が) and who is it directed towards (に)? My guess would be that it is みんながみんなに大きなかけ声をかけながら…, but it seems weird. Is it right?

2) Thank you both for your answers. I was thinking that he was more aggressive because of his tone and the way he jumps up and down. I guess that the construction っていうか itself isn't used in such a way?

1)
Yes and yes.

2)
っていうか can be used also for complaint. Some people, especially young people sometimes use it as (an almost meaningless) conjunction.

Back
Top Bottom