What's new

での・による、通って走っていきました、ありうる、という

Jaydent1

marvelous
Reaction score
Just a couple of grammar related questions.

騎士の時代には、彼等は剣での闘いによる怪我から身を守るため鎧を身に付けた。

Does での simultaneously express a fight 'of' swords and 'with' swords?
Does による amount to 'because of', 'as a result of' in this case?

最初は小さな灰色の家々を通って走っていきました。

I understand 通って as to pass through, and 走っていきました。I am guessing is to travel 'away' with いく。So would this essentially mean, to travel through and for all intents, away from the speaker/point of reference?

いかなる善意の考えもそれ自体はあくでありうる。

So if あく is evil, what is ありうる? If it's うる as in 得る, would ありうる translate to 'can be/exist'? (ある +得る)

興味という現象はそれ自体、きわめて興味深い問題である。

Probably a silly question, but would という in this case simply be saying 'the phenomenon of interest', like 'the phenomenon called interest' or 'the phenomenon that is interest'?

nekojita

先輩
Reaction score
1. 「剣で」の闘い - "with". Yes on による
2. Yes.
3. You should be able to find ありうる in a dictionary, but yes that's where it comes from. Means "possible". Think 悪である
4. Don't get hung up on slight differences in translation, but という isn't always "called". The phenomenon of/that is "interest" works just fine here.

killerinsidee

先輩
Reaction score
1. That's right, it's - 剣で + の + 闘い and yes, による means "because, due to".

2. I think it's like you said - "go through/via and run away from the speaker or reference point". (Not 100% sure about this one)

3. That's http://jisho.org/words?jap= ありうる &eng=&dict=edict. I guess you can think of it as 得る attached to である meaning "can/it's possible to be..."

4. Pretty much. I would put it like this - という is used to define/explain the 2nd noun - 現象. Same as it would in 雪国という小説 or うらやましいという気持ち.

Note: I'm not an expert or native so wait for someone more knowledgeable to confirm my answers.
Edit: Never mind, nekojitaさん answered it before me.

Last edited:

Jaydent1

marvelous
Reaction score
Well putting it like 剣で + の + 闘い definitely helps me make sense of it.

Thanks both of you :)