What's new

ためにも ・ もらってもいい ・ 見るだけ見る ・  私とどっち ・ が時こそ ・ 似たようなもの

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

I know this time there are quite a few questions, but could you help me this time as well, please?

1) そのためにも天理!お前がクイーンになるんだ!
The boy tells Tenri his plan and then, full of spirit, shouts that sentence to her.

I'm asking just to be sure. This も here is for 強調, right? The same as in こんなにも...

2)このステージの中に服が沢山入ってたよ!どれを選んで着てもらってもオッケーです!
It's the host of a fashion contest explaining the rules to the participants.

In the second sentence, is the one who receives the favor "we", and the one who does the favor "the participants"? So is the sentence saying "It's fine to choose and wear anything you like (and you would do us a favor if you would do so)". I'm not really sure how this would sound in english without exaggerating it.

3) 水着がせくしーすぎたんだ!!男がみんなはずかしがって てんりに入れたのよ!!くそー見るだけ見やがって!!

The given translation for this is "This swimsuit was too sexy!! The boys were to shy and voted for Tenri!! Damn it, after ogling me all they wanted!!".

Is the last part correct? So basically 見るだけ見る is the same as 見たいだけ見る ("to look as much as you want")?

4)私とどっちがかわいいか、勝負しましょう!!

Again, I am asking just to make sure. あなたと is omitted here, since it is obvious, right? I was also considering the possibility that it could be the soft imperative, and 私と would actually refer to 勝負しましょう, not to どっち.

5)みんなで自習してるの!学校がこんな時こそちゃんと勉強しなきゃ!

I don't really understand the grammar in the second sentence. The given translation is "With the school in the state it's in, we all have to work extra hard!!".

So are the clauses like this 学校がこんな時こそ ちゃんと勉強しなきゃ? What's happened to the verb in the first clause? Shouldn't there be a で or だから there?

This seems similar to 2) from 別にやる / のが目的の.

Another example where I've encountered something similar: もし、かつらぎが必要なら・・・私、力になってあげてもいいよ!!Here, the girl is saying that if Katsuragi (the person she is talking to) needs her, she'll lend him her strength. But shouldn't it be かつらぎが必要とするなら.

So, is this just simple omission because the sentence is still understandable from the context? And if so, umm...are there any rules to this?

6) 普通の人じゃなさそう・・・しかし・・・なんとなくな所在なさに、似たようなものを感じる・・・
It's a cold night and the girl is waiting on the street for someone. There is another girl near her, with a strange appearance, waiting as well. After some time of just waiting there, she thinks the phrase above.

I don't know what's the meaning 似る here. The most fitting definition seems to be this (which doesn't really help me that much...)
2. 性質・状態などがほとんど同じである。
にる【似る】の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書

Is she saying "I feel like she is a person that would be similar to (vague) boredom"? Literally, it sounds strange. Does she mean that she looks bored or that she seems to be a boring person? I assume it would be the former, given the context... If this is correct, it really seems to be a strange way of saying that someone looks bored.

1)
That would be "too/also".

2)
Yes, your interpretation is correct.
~てもらう works just a kind of polite expression in this case. The speaker doesn't get favor from that actually. So, I would use "You can choose and wear anything you like" or like that.

3)
見るだけ見やがって is more likely 見るだけ見て投票しなかった/見るだけで投票しなかった "they just ogled me (and didn't vote for me)".

4)
勝負しましょう is imperative here, so that's 私と勝負しましょう, not あなたと勝負しましょう.
The two interpretations, 「私と(あなたの)どっちがかわいいか」勝負しましょう and 私と「どっちがかわいいか」勝負しましょう, are both possible, the meaning is the same in either way, though.

5)
Yes, 学校がこんな時こそ is used as 学校がこんな時だからこそ. One of the reasons that だから is not used there would be こんな時こそ is valid as a set. It seems to be different from ~のが目的の to me. ~のが…な is a common structure when "…" is a na-adjective, e.g. 理解するのが困難な場合, right? These are the same structure to me.

As for かつらぎが必要なら, this is considered a conditional of かつらぎが/は(私を)必要だ.

6)
所在なさに、私と似たようなものを感じる

She is not similar to 所在なさ. She is similar to ME in 所在なさ.

1) So he is implying that there are other reasons( besides the one he already mentioned) for which she needs to become the queen of the school?But as far as I know, that's his only reason. And the way he is saying it also doesn't seem to match.

So what feeling is he trying to convey by adding も there? Is it something like "For that reason, you will become the queen of the school! There are a lot of other reasons for you to become the queen, so I'm counting on you!"?

View image: CCF 0110
View image: CCF 0111
View image: CCF 0112
The actual sentence is on the second page. And the one who says it is actually a boy dressed as a girl, again...

He is trying to stop ヴィンテージ's plan in order to proceed with his mission and to return home. The girl also has no interest in becoming popular or anything, put he just follows what he says (it might be because he likes him...i can't say for sure).

3) I was asking what 見るだけ見る usually means, or more generally verb + だけ + verb.
Actually, I think I found an answer. My bad for asking in the first place, I should have tried to search a bit more.
「V だけ V」①:
<継続することが可能と思われる限度まで、事態(V)が継続する>
「V だけ V」②:
<文脈において期待される他の事態を伴わないで、行為(V)のみを行う>
https://www.lang.nagoya-u.ac.jp/nichigen/achievment/pdf/doctor/67.pdf

5) I understand everything here except かつらぎが/は(私を)必要だ. So を can be used here despite the fact that there is no actual verb in the sentence?
I think I also encountered this with 好き or 嫌い. I guess it is common, but isn't the usage of を with だ considered incorrect?

6) Thank you! I didn't know that 似る can be used like that.

1)
He wants her to become the queen as his wish, and that's also for ヴィンテージの計画を台無しにする.

5)
As you might know, は can't be used to indicate the subject in a modifying clause or subordinate clause, therefore only が can be the subject marker. In this case, を is used as the object marker instead of が for potential forms, state verbs, or adjectives that express emotion/sense to avoid using two がs.
e.g.
彼は英語が話せる。
彼が英語を話せるのは、帰国子女だからだ。

彼は彼女が好きだ。
彼が彼女を好きな理由は、やさしいからだそうだ。

かつらぎは私が必要だ。
かつらぎが私を必要なら、力になってあげてもいいよ。

6)
Actually, 所在なさに is attached to 感じる, not 似る. In fact, you can't use に with 似る/似ている as "in" when 感じる isn't there.

所在なさに、私と似たようなものを感じる = 私と似たようなものを所在なさに感じる
☓所在なさに私と似る/似ている

Last edited:
1); 6) Thank you! I think I understand now.

5) In the potential case, I thought that に is used to determine the person who can do the action and が replaces を. Am I wrong with this, or are both ways correct?
彼に英語が話せるのは、帰国子女だからだ。

に indicates the person the subject(I / we) is talking to, so the answer is no. That sentence is interpreted as 彼に英語で話しかけられるのは / 彼に英語が通じるのは.

As for 必要, には can be used for the person who needs something (e.g. かつらぎには私が必要だ), so かつらぎに私が必要なら has the same meaning as the original sentence. かつらぎに is obvious from the context, therefore it can be rephrased with もし、私が必要なら…、力になってあげてもいいよ!!. The difference between the two expressions is where the speaker's focus is. 私が必要なら… is a word from the viewpoint of the speaker, so it could sound arrogant. Whereas もし、かつらぎが必要なら shows she is standing on his viewpoint, so it sounds kind/gentle and therefore is more appropriate for the situation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom