Hi,

1. 「ほいほい進んで、やつに誘き出されるたあ」

What is たあ?

2. 「ハーマイオニーとも少し話をせにゃならんな」

Is せにゃ = せなければ = しなければ?

3. 「あの女の話は、もうせんでくれ」

Is せんで = しないで?

4. 「ただし、クラウチが校庭から外に出てしまっていなければだけどな」

Is いなければだけどな strictly grammatical? (I am assuming it is いなければ・だ・けど・な.)

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,539
1)
a dialect of とは (quotation + topic marker)

2)
Indeed せにゃ = しなければ, but せなければ doesn't exist. せにゃ is from せねば.

3)
Yes.

4)
Yes. Grammatically, it's considered that クラウチが校庭から外に出てしまっていなければ is treated as a quotation.

Ratings
Thank you!

2/3. Apologies if I have asked before about these せ~ words, but could you just remind me what sort of language this is (e.g. old-fashioned, rural dialect or whatever)?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,539
せねば is classical Japanese (未然形/the -nai stem of す + -ba conditional of ぬ for negative), and せにゃ is a dialect (derived from classical Japanese that remains in some regions). Thus, 話をせにゃならんな sounds "unpolished" as Hagrid's words, whereas 話をせねばならんな/ならぬな sounds "solemn" as Dumbledore speaks.
It's also the same as #3.

Ratings
OK, thanks, by the way, I think I always assumed that ~ねば was a contraction of ~なければ (so that the existence of せねば would imply the existence of せなければ). Is this not true at all, or are these せ~ words an exception to the usual rule?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,539
The negative auxiliary verb ない is a relatively new word. It started being widely used in the late Edo period. There are some hypotheses about the etymology (e.g. a Kantō dialect, derived from the negative adjective なし, derived from ぬ), but anyway ねば(or ぬ) is older than なければ(or ない), and なければ(or ない) is never attached to せ.