What's new

す pronuntiation

Ratings
Hi, I'm currently living and working in Japan. I've noticed that in general people don't pronounce the う in す when it's at the end of a word. But sometimes I've also noticed they pronounce the う, specially in shops or call-centers when using polite/formal language. So, is it just a thing that depends on the person talking, or does formal/polite language imply pronouncing the う in すat the end of words (ありがとうがざいます - gozaimasu instead of gozaimas, for example)

Ratings
I kind of figure it's just that when speaking more casually it gets less enunciated. I had one older gentleman in my building who always enunciated the す when he greeted me, almost sounding like すう.

Ratings
Region, gender and age group should also be taken into account. From my observations females pronounce -す as "su" more often, as well as the aged (more often than males/young people. "s" still being a prevalent pronunciation) Not sure about regional preferences though.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,537
Hi, I'm currently living and working in Japan. I've noticed that in general people don't pronounce the う in す when it's at the end of a word. But sometimes I've also noticed they pronounce the う, specially in shops or call-centers when using polite/formal language. So, is it just a thing that depends on the person talking, or does formal/polite language imply pronouncing the う in すat the end of words (ありがとうがざいます - gozaimasu instead of gozaimas, for example)
You have a good ear. There are many threads about the topic in JREF.
...su...ending question? | Japan Forum
silent U's and I's | Japan Forum
Silent (unvoiced) u? | Japan Forum
How to read " 学生”"がくせい"? | Japan Forum

Ratings
Thank you all for your answers. I notice it the most with the secretaries here at work, specially when they're talking on the phone. I've been asking around and a friend told me that here in Osaka many women do it, specially when talking to clients at work. I kind of like how it sounds :)