What's new

これでもかとばかり / 見ておれ / そいつ / ええ

Ratings
Hi,

1. ハグリッドは、一張羅の毛がモコモコの茶色い背広を着込み、これでもかとばかり、黄色とだいだい色の格子縞ネクタイを締めていた。

What does これでもかとばかり mean? As well as the overall meaning, I would like to understand how the words create the meaning.

2. 「見ちょれ。待っちょれよ。」

I suppose this is 見ておれ (imperative of 見ておる) and 待っておれ (imperative of 待っておる), yes? Apart from being dialect, is there any other connotation attached to using these forms as opposed to just 見ろ and 待て?

3. 「そいつは、ハーマイオニー、かえってあいつらのためにならねえ」

Hermione has suggested something that the speaker doesn't think will benefit "あいつら". Does そいつ refer to the suggestion? It would make sense, but for some reason I feel uncertain whether そいつ would refer to something abstract like that.

4. 「仕事を取り上げっちまったら、連中を不幸にするばっかしだし、給料を払うなんちゅうのは、侮辱もええとこだ」

a) What is ばっかしだし? Is it ばっか (= ばかり) + し (stem of suru) + だ (copula) + し (stem of suru)?

b) Is なんちゅう = なんという?

c) What is ええ? I seem to remember that this character might pronounce いい as ええ, but I can't see how いい makes sense there.

jt_

人生絶賛迷走中
Ratings
You will often see this expression as とばかり(に). This explanation should help you puzzle it out.
edit Whoops, neglected to address これでもか. Refer to this and I suspect you'll be able to break it down for yourself.

This is dialect (下関弁 with a meaning similar to ~ておけ according to this link), doubtless employed by the translator to give the character a unique "voice."

Your interpretation is correct, and yes, そいつ can be used casually to refer to something abstract (see entry #3 here, e.g. 「そいつは困ったな」)

4a
ばっかし itself is just a colloquial/dialectal ばかり, so all together it's just equivalent to ばかり+だ+し.
(***edit as I misread your original analysis***) Note that the し after the copula is the "listing reasons" particle し, not a stem of suru.

4b
Correct.

4c
Yes, that's just 関西弁 for いい。 「~もいいところだ」 has an idiomatic meaning which you can see in entry #5 here. (冗談もいいところだ)

Last edited:

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,539
1)
これでもか is for emphasis. I think it's from something like これでも足りないか, meaning "as if he is thinking this(= 毛がモコモコの茶色い背広) is not enough".

2)
見ろ and 待て are for the current situation; "See what is in front of you now" and "Wait here/Stop doing", respectively. Whereas 見ておれ(=見ていろ) and 待っておれ(=待っていろ) are for future events.

~ちょる is used relatively widely in Central and Western Japan (except Kansai, I think).

4) b)
など(=等)という

c)
ええ is used in Central and Western Japan (including Kansai, in this case).

Ratings
Note that the し after the copula is the "listing reasons" particle し, not a stem of suru.
Oh, OK, I always though the "listing reasons" し was the stem of する. Are they etymologically different words?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,539
According to 大辞林, this し is from the last syllable of the conclusive form(終止形) of classical adjectives, which was used to connect clauses (e.g. むし暑、風はな、甚だ参りたり。). Thus, the answer is yes. The etymologies are different.

〔この助詞は,中世から見られる形容詞の終止形による接続用法から、その語尾が遊離・独立して成立した。近世以降多く用いられるようになった〕
し(シ)とは - コトバンク