What's new

から見つかる and で見つかる

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

Could you please explain (or confirm, hopefully, if my guess below is right) to me what the difference is between から見つかる and で見つかる?
In this article, in the first paragraph it says 海の底から(...)重さ9kgの金貨が見つかった.

I searched around but I couldn't find any concrete answer. My guess is that から見つかる means "found and taken from...", as opposed to で見つかる which would be just "found in...". So that sentence would mean "9 kg worth of gold coins were found and retrieved from the bottom of the sea".
This seems to fit with the second paragraph as well, where it says 金貨はダイビングのしていた人が深さ12mの海の底で見つけました。 >>> The divers found the gold coins but they didn't take them.

Both から and で indicate the location of the action (to find). 海の底から見つかった doesn't have the meaning of "to be taken/retrieved from". Unlike で, から has a nuance that the object is found in a closed space or unexpected place.

Ohh, thank you! I really thought my guess would be right. Then, in that article, why do they first use から and then で? Is it in order to mix up the words so that から見つかる・見つかる would not be repeated twice?

Probably it's no need to use から in the second 見つけました, since the nuance of "unexpected" is already conveyed by から in the first sentence.

As for the case being used with a transitive verb 見つける, で can indicate the location where the agent is at, not always the location of the object. For instance, in a sentence 人ごみの中で彼女を見つけた, the agent (= the speaker) and the object (= her) would be both in the crowd, whereas the speaker might not in the crowd in 人ごみの中から/に彼女を見つけた. The two locations would be the same place in most cases, though (as in your example 金貨を海の底で見つけた).

So with 見つける, から is like に but with the "unexpected / closed space" nuance. I would have wrongly assumed that it would still match to で. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom