What's new

あぶらっけのない

Cala

後輩
10 Aug 2016
Hi everyone, I'm reading a fantasy book and after searching through a few dictionaries and trying Google I'm not sure of this phrase:

あぶらっけのない黒髪

I don't know what the っけ is doing to the abura (oil)
Or what the のない is trying to achieve here.

From context I would go for oily black hair, but that's me guessing. If you can shed some light on the grammar/phraseology I would be very happy.

Incidentally does 黒髪 actually have to be black? For some reason I've been thinking that as long as it's dark/Asian it could be included in that, but I don't know where I'm getting this from.

I don't know what the っけ is doing to the abura (oil)
け【気】
[接尾]名詞・動詞の連用形、形容詞・形容動詞の語幹などに付いて、そのようなようす・気配・感じなどの意を表す。名詞に付く場合、「っけ」の形になることも多い。「人―」「飾りっ―」「商売っ―」「食い―」「寒―」「いや―」
け【気】の意味 - goo国語辞書

Thus, it means "oil-like (appearance/touch/feelings)".

what the のない is trying to achieve here.
without

Incidentally does 黒髪 actually have to be black? For some reason I've been thinking that as long as it's dark/Asian it could be included in that, but I don't know where I'm getting this from.
It usually refers to pure black (mostly straight) hair.

Together that makes non oily black hair.

Since it's weird to point out that the hair isn't oily, I would assume the hair isn't oily unless otherwise stated, I was trying to make that into oily somehow...

Anyway thanks.

That's exactly why I used "oil-like", and not "oily". You can think 油っ気のない actually means 艶のない lusterless, dull, or dry.

Back
Top Bottom