What's new

「復帰できる」usage

Kraise

先輩
8 Mar 2013
Once again hello there guys,
I'm still reading news to improve my formal japanese and to prevent it from getting rusty.
This time I'm in need of some guidance with this small piece of text.

【元米国防副長官 大いに語る】ふとっちょ3「不要論」、中国という「象」と均衡を取るために日本がすべきことは…(5/7ページ) - 産経ニュース

どんな国でもフセインのような残忍な統治は永続しない。北朝鮮も永遠に今のような統治が続けられるとは思わない。本当の安定は統治される人々の自発的な同意によってもたらされる。イラクの問題はフセインや取り巻きが復帰できると考え、戦いを止めなかったことだ。私たちは彼らが戦争に敗れたと考えていたが、彼らは一つの戦闘に敗れただけだと考えていた」

Does the bold part mean:
"because the USA thought that hussein and his 取り巻き would "change(for good)" they didnt stop the regional conflicts" in Iraq?

I've never seen this 「復帰できる」 before, and the fact that sometimes I still miss who is the subject (of と考え in this case) of a phrase, my confidence drops a bit.

Thank you!

Last edited:
jisho.org says that 復帰 means "return" or "comeback". It's a noun and suru verb.

できる (alternatively 出来る) is just the potential form of する.

The subjects of 復帰できる, 考え(る) and 止めなかった are all フセインや取り巻き. Indeed "the US/we" can be the subject of 考える grammatically, so you need to interpret the subject from the context.
cf.
イラクの問題は、フセインや取り巻きがもう復帰できないと考え、戦いを止めてしまったことだ。

Furthermore, if the speaker is Iraq's ally who continued the war (if it existed), the interpretation is changed, too. The context is the key, as always.

The subjects of 復帰できる, 考え(る) and 止めなかった are all フセインや取り巻き. Indeed "the US/we" can be the subject of 考える grammatically, so you need to interpret the subject from the context.
cf.
イラクの問題は、フセインや取り巻きがもう復帰できないと考え、戦いを止めてしまったことだ。

Furthermore, if the speaker is Iraq's ally who continued the war (if it existed), the interpretation is changed, too. The context is the key, as always.

Thank you for the input Toritoribe-san, in order to clarify things a bit, I'll add some information because I believe the piece I picked isnt self-contained enough:

1 -The speaker is a former american secretary of defence.
2 - This piece of text is an answer to this (pseudo)"question"
「トランプ氏はかつて、独裁者のフセインを取り除いたことでイラクが不安定になったと指摘したことがある」

Because there isnt much more information regarding the 戦い ,I got stuck between deciding whether it meant the actual american intervention and Hussein's removal by the americans or if its referred to the actual iraqi regional conflicts.

Do you think that with that information, my "attempt" at translating the piece of text is valid?

Last edited:
戦い refers to the actual Iraqi regional conflicts after Hussein's removal by the the US. 復帰 means "return" or "comeback", as already answered.

戦い refers to the actual Iraqi regional conflicts after Hussein's removal by the the US. 復帰 means "return" or "comeback", as already answered.

Sorry to insist on the matter

edit: I got a bit confused, is the attempt below any more valid?
1-"cause we believed that the likes of Hussein would reoccur, we didnt stop/intervene in the regional conflicts"

If so, I kind of insisted in 復帰 as "hussein was recoverable/could become a good fella" at first, because of this alc.co.jp entry.

Last edited:
As I already pointed out, the subjects of 復帰できる, 考え(る) and 止めなかった are all フセインや取り巻き.

As I already pointed out, the subjects of 復帰できる, 考え(る) and 止めなかった are all フセインや取り巻き.

すみません。
とりとりべさんの最善の努力なのに、今回僕は全く理解出来ない。今日頭が没頭しているかもしれません。

もう一度試してみたいと思います。

まず、
1-フセインはイラクの問題が直せると考えた(信じていた)。
そのため
2-戦を続けた。

これでどうですか?

Last edited:
復帰 means to comeback to the leader of the government. They thought they could comeback to the leader, and continued the conflicts.

Back
Top Bottom