What's new

気づいて知らせた / 言いそうなこと / なんでよりによって / 言いなさんな

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. 「近所のマグルたちが、ドタバタいう音や叫び声に気づいて知らせたのだ、ほら、何とか言ったな—うん、慶察とかに。」
(I believe that 慶察 is a deliberate misspelling, intended to show that the speaker is not familiar with the word 警察.)

I am lost with this sentence after 気づいて. Is 気づいて知らせた one compound verb? What does it mean? What is the function of に at the end? Is there an implied verb after に? Does this part have anything to do with 知らせた?

2. 「アーサー、あのマッド・アイの言いそうなことじゃないか」

How does 言いそうなことじゃないか work? I would like to understand how the meanings of the individual words combine to create the overall meaning.

3. 「それに、マッド・アイは今日から新しい仕事に就くことになっている。なんでよりによってその前の晩に・・・・」

How does なんでよりによって work? I would like to understand how the meanings of the individual words combine to create the overall meaning.

4. ゴチャゴチャ文句を言いなさんな。

What is 言いなさんな?

1)
に at the end of the sentence indicates the target of 知らせた.

マグルたちがドタバタいう音や叫び声に気づいて、それ(= there are noises and crying)を慶察とかに知らせた makes sense?

2)
That's something Mad-Eye would say, / That's typical of Mad-Eye, don't you think so, Arther?

~そう means "to be likely to do" here.
−そうだ
2 〔…の様子である〕
彼ならそんなことをしそうだ
He would be likely to do such a thing.
そうだを英語で訳す - goo辞書 英和和英

3)
よりによって is a set phrase. より is 選り from a verb 選る(=選ぶ), so よりによって means 選びに選んで "to choose cautiously" (chose the timing cautiously, nevertheless the timing is...).

4)
That's the n-euphonic change of 言いなさるな. 言いなさる is an honorific of 言う, thus, that's a little bit polite version of 言うな.

Thanks for your reply.

1. Your version makes sense to me, but the original doesn't. I don't understand how 慶察とかに知らせた can be implied when のだ intervenes. What is the function of のだ in the structure of the sentence?

Edit: Oh, maybe I get it now. のだ provisionally completes the thought, and then 慶察とかに adds some additional information that the speaker has thought to say? Is that right?

2. Your first version is quite easy for me to understand, but in your second version, "That's typical of Mad-Eye", is it still necessary for this to be referring to something that Mad-Eye said? In the story there is nothing relevant for this to be referring to, so I was looking for another type of meaning, more idiomatic. I wonder if the translation may have just gone slightly awry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom