What's new

アキラ (Akira) translations

Sakide

Kouhai
15 May 2015
Howdy.
I've just started reading the Akira manga, so I created a thread which will consist of translation requests of words or phrases appearing in Akira that I don't understand. I currently found something I don't get, but I guess in the next 2,000 pages of Akira I'll come across many more unknown words, which is why I created this thread instead of posting my requests into the main thread or in single threads. This is just for convenience. I hope y'all don't mind and this is not against the rules or something. Otherwhise I shall continue to post my requests in the right sections.

So, my first request:
What does ケツのおごり (ketsu no ogori) mean? Is it something like "***-whipping" or "***-beating"?
When they ride away from the crater, Kaneda says on page 21:
春木屋迄飛ばすぞォ 今夜もケツのおごりだからなー
Haruki-ya made tobasu zo! Kon'ya mo ketsu no ogori da kara nā!
We'll ride to Haruki's shop! This night it's "ketsu no ogori" again!

And from the movie I know that they'll be beating up some rival gang members soon after, so is it something like that?
I know that ケツ means ***, but when I look up おごり I only get something like "pride".

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• AKIRA 01-021.jpg
    AKIRA 01-021.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 751
And another line that bothers me (sorry for double posting, can't edit the original post):
たまには奢られる側にならねーとな
Tama ni wa ogorareru kawa/soba [?] ni naranē to na!

After Tetsuo takes the lead, he shouts this to Kaneda. What exactly does it mean?

Attachments

• AKIRA 01-022.jpg
    AKIRA 01-022.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 136
ケツ is a slang of ビリ.

けつ【尻】
2 ⇒びり
けつ【尻】の英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - 英語辞書 - goo辞書

びり
【例文】
クラスでびりだ
He is at the 「very bottom [tail end] of his class.
駆けっこではいつもびりだった
I 「brought up the rear [came in last] in every race.
彼の名前がびりから2番目にあった
His name was second from the bottom of the list.
びりの英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - 英語辞書 - goo辞書

おごり【奢り】
2 〔ごちそうすること〕a treat
これは僕のおごりだ
This is my treat./This is on me.
おごり【奢り】の英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - 英語辞書 - goo辞書

おごる【奢る】
2 〔ごちそうをする〕treat ((a person to tea))
一杯おごろうか
Shall I stand you a drink?/Shall I treat you to a drink?
おごる【奢る】の英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - 英語辞書 - goo辞書

The reading of 奢られる側 is ogorareru gawa. たまには奢られる側にならないとな makes sense?
FYI, おごり is the noun form of おごる.

Just for confirmation, doesn't there exist the official translation of the manga?

There is an English translation, but it's not very accurate. And it's mirrored so that it's reading direction is changed to left-to-right. Meh.
And also, I want to read it in Japanese specifically. :p

Ah, I think I got it!
"Last one is treating!"
But how is the second one to be understood? "You said at times you don't become the treated side"?
Wat. What's that supposed to mean? Please help me with this one. ^^
What is that 側 (gawa) supposed to mean? "Side"?

Last edited:
I mean the English version can be helpful to understand the original Japanese, no?

ならないと is an abbreviation of ならないといけない, similar to ならなきゃ.
The subject is "I".

Yes for 側.
がわ【側】
2 〔立場〕
学生側の不満
dissatisfaction on the part of the students
会社側の反論
a counterargument made by the management
子供たちは母親側に付いた
The children took sides with their mother.
がわ【側】の英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - 英語辞書 - goo辞書

Yes, that was my thought too. I actually looked for this scene in the English version, and there it's "I'm getting hungry. I say we eat at Harukiya -- and the last guy there picks up the check!" and "This time you follow me, Kaneda!". So even if it is at least contextually correct, it didn't help me to realize why these sentences mean what they mean.

Okay, so I mixed up the conditional marker with the quotational marker (と). This actually makes sense now. "Once in a while, I have to be on the side being treated!" Kaneda: "You'll never be!"

Alright, thanks a lot! ^-^

Yo. I iz back.
What does this line mean?

バーカ 昨日の今日で捕まってみろよ
Bāka! Kinō no kyō (?) de tsukamatte miro yo!

One of the bikers says this after another one asked why they're hiding.
Now, I know what it says in the English version, but still there are some things that confuse me:
  • 昨日の今日. What is that supposed to mean? Yesterday's today? Why the の?
  • Why is there a で? It's either the particle or a form of だ. Both don't seem to make too much sense.
  • It might be that 昨日 and 今日 are read with their on readings (sakujitsu and konnichi respectively). Might there be eventually a small change in nuance depending on the way to read these words?
Literally it's probably supposed to mean something as You idiot! Just try and see how they're gonna capture you (as it's just one day after yesterday). I'm still kinda struggling to get behind the grammatical sense of this sentence though. A little help again would be much appreciated.

昨日の今日 is a set phrase.
昨日の今日(キノウノキョウ)とは - コトバンク

で is a particle.
で( 格助 )
3 動作・作用を行う時の事情・状況を表す。 「はらぺこ-帰ってくる」 「挨拶のつもり-声をかけたのだ」
で(デ)とは - コトバンク

捕まってみろよ means 捕まったらどうなるか考えてみろよ in that context. Notice that the verb is 捕まる, not 捕まえる. You misunderstood the subject.

I didn't misunderstand it (even if it seemed that way in my rather sorry attempt of a translation). I'm well aware that 捕まる is intransitive.I acually wanted to write see how you're gonna be captured!.
Seems to me that I got the part with 捕まってみろよ about right, at least meaning-whise.

So the particle で means something like with, or even in, right? How does that make sense in combination with a time-related phrase like 昨日の今日?
(Or is it in fact a connecting element? As in It's only been yesterday; (and thus) feel free to show me what'll happen if you get caught!?)
If it's a particle, wouldn't it change the meaning to lit. With the verge of yesterday, see what'll happen if you get caught!? Doesn't sound too right to me.
Or is it meant like See what happens when you get caught again so soon after yesterday!?
Or maybe it's not you who's getting captured, but we?
(Still, never saw で being used for actual points in time...)

Last edited:
You actually misunderstood the subject (the object in your initial translation). The subject is "we", as you wrote in the last line. (By the way, I checked that part to know(or rather, to remember) the context, since that sentence can have other meanings.)

Did you read the definitions of 昨日の今日 and で I linked above? 昨日の今日 is not a temporal phrase. で indicates a situation 昨日の今日, i.e., it's not just 今日で捕まる.

Your last translation is the closest. みろ/みる doesn't mean "to see" there, though. That's ~てみろ/てみる. I would use "think of" instead.

Well, that helps. :D

Okay, one more:
あ~あ 不良はつれーや

What does 不良 mean here? Is it something like thug or hooligan? Being a thug is hard?
In English the line goes Being a J.D. is a real pain in the ***. What's a J.D.? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom