What's new

ほど (ば~ほど?) question

killerinsidee

先輩
14 Dec 2013
I randomly found this question http://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/14680/question-about-translation-with-particle-ほど and the answer kind of confused me.

The poster of the answer claims that this sentence「ああいう奴らの家庭ほど、家に帰るとぐちゃぐちゃだったりすんのよ」is about 家庭, while also saying that ほど in this case has a inverse proportion. This kind of confused me. First off, no idea what inverse proportion is supposed to be. I'm aware that the ば~ほど construct can be written with just ほど and it indeed seems to be used in this case. However, if that's the case, the subject of the sentence in question would be 奴ら, not 奴らの家庭.
Doesn't the sentence mean lit. "In proportion to their families, when they (奴ら) get home, they (奴ら) get messy/messed up"? - Sentence is about 奴ら, families are just for the "extent". I imagine this could be rephrased like「奴らは(家に帰ると)家庭ほどぐちゃぐちゃだったりする。」, unless I'm totally wrong about this :/.
Can anyone clarify?

Thanks.

Last edited:
It makes sense to me if ああいう is a reference to "みんなベタベタして仲良し比べみたいな感じ". and that refers to the way people act with their families (maybe at school events where parents or other relatives are present).

e.g. the speaker is saying more people act all "happy family" in public, the more likely it is they're messed up when in private.

Thanks for the help.
I agree that ああいう refers to that sentence, but I still don't get if the ほど thing I wrote is correct?

Edit: I think I got it. I guess みんな in the previous sentence refers to "them" and their families (together at some school events, like you said). I thought that みんな= just 奴ら, which didn't fit. One last thing, who does 家に帰ると refer to?

Last edited:
I read it initially as referring to to the whole family, not just the students in them (granted, missing full context), but it could possibly refer to the individuals, grammatically.

Here is an example (unfortunate topic but good example)
from headline: 不登校の小中学生の家庭ほどしつけに厳しかった
from actual text: 不登校傾向にある小中学生は、小学校入学前の幼少期に保護者がしつけなどを厳しく意識してきた家庭に多い

Another where the topic is switched from "families" to "children" deliberately:
料理手作りの家庭ほど子どもはヘルシー食志向になるらしい

And another where it isn't: (the topic is already about children's education and "grades" obviously refers to the kids not the family)
さらに、全国学力調査では、年収の低い家庭ほど成績が振るわない傾向が明らかになる

(Quite possible I'm wrong, so wait a bit to see if anybody else jumps in!)

Back
Top Bottom