Hi,

1. 「ほいほい進んで、やつに誘き出されるたあ」

What is たあ?

2. 「ハーマイオニーとも少し話をせにゃならんな」

Is せにゃ = せなければ = しなければ?

3. 「あの女の話は、もうせんでくれ」

Is せんで = しないで?

4. 「ただし、クラウチが校庭から外に出てしまっていなければだけどな」

Is いなければだけどな strictly grammatical? (I am assuming it is いなければ・だ・けど・な.)

1)
a dialect of とは (quotation + topic marker)

2)
Indeed せにゃ = しなければ, but せなければ doesn't exist. せにゃ is from せねば.

3)
Yes.

4)
Yes. Grammatically, it's considered that クラウチが校庭から外に出てしまっていなければ is treated as a quotation.

Thank you!

2/3. Apologies if I have asked before about these せ~ words, but could you just remind me what sort of language this is (e.g. old-fashioned, rural dialect or whatever)?

せねば is classical Japanese (未然形/the -nai stem of す + -ba conditional of ぬ for negative), and せにゃ is a dialect (derived from classical Japanese that remains in some regions). Thus, 話をせにゃならんな sounds "unpolished" as Hagrid's words, whereas 話をせねばならんな/ならぬな sounds "solemn" as Dumbledore speaks.
It's also the same as #3.

OK, thanks, by the way, I think I always assumed that ~ねば was a contraction of ~なければ (so that the existence of せねば would imply the existence of せなければ). Is this not true at all, or are these せ~ words an exception to the usual rule?

The negative auxiliary verb ない is a relatively new word. It started being widely used in the late Edo period. There are some hypotheses about the etymology (e.g. a Kantō dialect, derived from the negative adjective なし, derived from ぬ), but anyway ねば(or ぬ) is older than なければ(or ない), and なければ(or ない) is never attached to せ.

Back
Top Bottom