What's new

Forum update II

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Dear valued Members,

I would like to inform you briefly on a few changes here at the forum.

1) We have slightly altered the layout and the design of the Japan Forum in order to reflect the new overall design of Japan Reference. If you happen to find any errors or glitches, please report them right here.

2) Needless to say, that this update is not the BIG ONE. While we have made significant progress in converting the database to UTF-8, there is still a lot of work and experimentation to be done. The import into the new forum software in particular seems to be a major issue that needs to be solved. I do not expect the forum conversion to take place before summer.

3) In the wake of last week's hard-drive failure we have upgraded our automatic backup system and now run more frequent backups.

4) We have added a new subforum to the Nihongo section, dedicated to translations. I have moved most of the previous translation requests (including many of the infamous tattoo threads) to the new subforum. Please note that we do not allow the submissions of entire songs and anime/manga episodes.

Thanks for reading this, we are looking forward to hearing from you!

It looks alright! Whenever a forum changes skins, it's a little shocking at first, but within a week, it's hard to remember the old one.

Thanks for your hard work!

<Is there a way to turn off automatic e-mail subscriptions? That is the only thing I'd like to see changed here...>

Thanks for the feedback. There are still a few cosmetic issues which I shall take care of later.

I believe automatic subscriptions can be turned off in the UserCP. At least, you should be able to unsubscribe from existing threads you have participated in.

Yes, my first thought was... what?! And then my second thought, follow on a handful of milliseconds, was ... 'oh a change has been made...'

Yep, I'll get used to it. And, as far as I can see (and I am literally talking about seeing) it looks fine to me. One thing has come to mind (not that it hadn't before, but perhaps the newer design kind of worked it up psychologically, and that is if there were some 'large print' mode of receiving the pages in. (without having to ctrl and scroll-out for enlargement)? Not a suggestion, but just a question of sorts.

And, I second the motion on the hard work well done praise !! Keep it up !!

MM

I believe automatic subscriptions can be turned off in the UserCP. At least, you should be able to unsubscribe from existing threads you have participated in.
Thank you very much! I think I have that little quirk solved!

did the icons ( sections icon ) become smaller or is it a bug in my browser ?
Thanks for the updates.

Looking great. These changes have made the forums look a lot more organized and minimalistic.

Looking great. These changes have made the forums look a lot more organized and minimalistic.

Thanks, that's the essence of it. I still need to update a few images and implement FB, Twitter and Google connect and we're basically done.

if there were some 'large print' mode of receiving the pages in. (without having to ctrl and scroll-out for enlargement)? Not a suggestion, but just a question of sorts.

Dear MM, thanks for your kind words. It should be fairly easy to implement a second style featuring larger fonts. I have added it onto my to-do list. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom