Ibaraki Prefectural Shimotsuma Second Senior High School has gone through many transformations during its long history. It was first established as an all-girls private school known as the “Women’s Keibun School” in the 42nd year of the Meiji Era (1909) by the Kōmyō Temple Chief Priest, Miura Kusei. Later in 1919, it became a Shimotsuma Municipal School and subsequently one of the “eleven village schools” of Shimotsuma Town in 1923. In 1942, the school's management was transferred to the prefectural government, and it became known as the Ibaraki Prefectural Shimotsuma Girl’s HighSchool. After the war in 1948, the school again renamed itself the Ibaraki PrefecturalWomen’s Senior High School. Due to the new coeducation system in 1949, the school went through its final name change being designated as the Ibaraki Prefectural Shimotsuma Second Senior High School as it is known today. Many milestones soon followed. In 1993, Shimotsuma Second Senior High School finally became coeducational. Having been selected to promote male students' enrollment, the school achieved 40% male enrollment in its first year as a coeducational school. In 2009, the school celebrated its 100th anniversary. And since its inception, over 20,000 students have graduated from Shimotsuma Second, with many matriculating in public and private universities.