Kiyomizu Kannon-dō temple (清水観音堂), built in 1632, is tucked away within Ueno Park. It is one of the last fragments of a formerly wonderful Kan'ei-ji temple, without which Ueno Park would not exist today. This temple area had 68 buildings at its pinnacle, with the Kiyomizu Kannon-do being only one of the minor ones. Following the end of the Tokugawa shogunate in 1868, the land around Kan'ei-ji temple was established as Tokyo's first city park in 1873.
The temple has a deck that overlooks a huge tree circle. This ring is known as the moon's tree (tsuki no matsu in Japanese). This form became popular among locals and was used by Ukiyo-e artist Hiroshige in his One Hundred Famous Views of Edo (1856–59), lending cultural relevance to the shape. The main pine tree was tragically damaged during the Edo period (1603-1868) by a storm; the modern tree was planted in 2011. Through the circle, you can see Shinobazu Pond and Benten-do Temple, two of Ueno Park's other big draws.
1-29 Uenokoen, Taito City, Tokyo 110-0007; phone: 03-3821-4749.
Open daily 09:00-16:00.
- 清水観音堂について | 清水観音堂 公式ホームページ (official website in English and Japanese)
Click to be notified of new videos.