What's new

Tang translation

phonebooth

Kouhai
Donor
31 Oct 2016
hello can some one please help translate this tangmetal please? any help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• tang.jpg
    tang.jpg
    791.6 KB · Views: 455
万京東小
I don't know how to read this. Mankyō Tōshō ?
It looks more like four random kanji strung together, rather than an actual name. The milky swirls in the metal are also a bit suspicious. The raised edge around the mekugi-ana (the hole) is an indication that the hole was drilled rather than punched. In all, these are signs that the sword is a modern sword, masquerading as an antique.

万京東小
It looks more like four random kanji strung together, rather than an actual name. The milky swirls in the metal are also a bit suspicious. The raised edge around the mekugi-ana (the hole) is an indication that the hole was drilled rather than punched. In all, these are signs that the sword is a modern sword, masquerading as an antique.
ya i had a feeling was super bogus but had to give it a try. im still learning to choose a good blade

万京東小
how do you know so much about the swords? do you collect also?

do you collect also?
Yes. Well, not so much into collecting anymore, but still studying. I recommend you check out a site called "Nihonto Message Board". Guys over there can give very good advice whether it be for collecting or restoring.

Yes. Well, not so much into collecting anymore, but still studying. I recommend you check out a site called "Nihonto Message Board". Guys over there can give very good advice whether it be for collecting or restoring.
thank you . really appreciate it

hey brother do you happen to know who made this sword?
tanto.jpg
im prob gonna purchase it, the guy selling kinda cheap but just wanna narrow down the maker.

越中守藤原高平
Ecchū-no-kami Fujiwara Takahira
Not a smith I'm familiar with. As always, just because there is a signature on it doesn't mean it is worth anything. Lots and lots and lots of forgeries out there. Buy the sword, not the signature. "I'm going to buy it because it is cheap" is a mistake many newbies make. How much is cheap, and what are you looking for?

越中守藤原高平
Ecchū-no-kami Fujiwara Takahira
Not a smith I'm familiar with. As always, just because there is a signature on it doesn't mean it is worth anything. Lots and lots and lots of forgeries out there. Buy the sword, not the signature. "I'm going to buy it because it is cheap" is a mistake many newbies make. How much is cheap, and what are you looking for?
oh wow . i looked him up and came across this link Signed Etchu no kami Fujiwara Takahira | Blade for a Sword (Katana) | Japanese | The Met but this blae im trying to buy is a tanto and the pointed part is really dull a lil bit rust too so i dont know if its even worth buying. the guy got it from a ww2 vet. i attached some pics. how much u think its worth?
tanto1.jpg
tanto2.jpg
photos

Attachments

• tanto3.jpg
    tanto3.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 318
  • tanto4.jpg
    tanto4.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 292
Too hard to say without having the thing in hand. Well, that and the fact that I'm not much more than an amateur myself. If it is dull and rusted, it would require a professional sword polish, so you are looking at maybe a thousand dollars for shipping and polish and making a shirasaya (maybe this already has one?).

Post it the the Nihonto Message Board and see what the gents over there say.

Too hard to say without having the thing in hand. Well, that and the fact that I'm not much more than an amateur myself. If it is dull and rusted, it would require a professional sword polish, so you are looking at maybe a thousand dollars for shipping and polish and making a shirasaya (maybe this already has one?).

you do really good translations tho every sword you ve translated ive compared them to swords that have sold from the same smith and the signatures always match. your the man

hey brother what book would you recomend for samurai sword study?

Hello,
It says
濃州住村山兼幸作
Noshū-ju Murayama Kaneyuki saku

Noshū is the name of the province (present-day Gifu Prefecture) Murayama Kaneyuki would be the smith's name, and saku means "made by". Thank you for the kind offer. How about sending $5 as a donation to this forum instead of to me?

Hello,
It says
濃州住村山兼幸作
Noshū-ju Murayama Kaneyuki saku

Noshū is the name of the province (present-day Gifu Prefecture) Murayama Kaneyuki would be the smith's name, and saku means "made by". Thank you for the kind offer. How about sending $5 as a donation to this forum instead of to me?
thank you! yes gladly. what ius the paypal email?

Right side is an old location name in/around Kyoto 洛陽西陣住 Rakuyō nishijin-jū
Left side (and artist's name) is 埋忠作 Umetada-saku
Sorry, I have no idea if it is authentic. Umetada is a big-name artist*, so unless you are purchasing from a reputable dealer AND it has authentication papers, I would be suspicious. If you are buying from an auction site and the item was offered without papers, I wouldn't consider buying it.

* Edit: I should say group of artists. There were more than 10 artists who used this name.

Last edited:
Sorry, I have no idea if it is authentic. Umetada is a big-name artist, so unless you are purchasing from a reputable dealer AND it has authentication papers, I would be suspicious. If you are buying from an auction site with no papers, I wouldn't even consider this one.
ok thank you . good thing you said that bc i was pretty close to getting it :|

Sorry, I have no idea if it is authentic. Umetada is a big-name artist*, so unless you are purchasing from a reputable dealer AND it has authentication papers, I would be suspicious. If you are buying from an auction site and the item was offered without papers, I wouldn't consider buying it.

* Edit: I should say group of artists. There were more than 10 artists who used this name.
hey brother i just donated another 5 dollars :) you think you can translate this one? let me know if im being too much ill take it easy :)
sword.jpg

関住福田兼丈作
Seki-jū Fukuda Kanetake saku

Let me also point out that if you are looking for a "samurai" sword, the one above, and the one above that one, were both made about 60 years after the end of the samurai as a class. Strictly speaking, they are WW2 weapons, and have little to do with samurai.

Last edited:
関住福田兼丈作
Seki-jū Fukuda Kanetake saku

Let me also point out that if you are looking for a "samurai" sword, the one above, and the one above that one, were both made about 60 years after the end of the samurai as a class. Strictly speaking, they are WW2 weapons, and have little to do with samurai.
thank you :) yes i kinda figured they were but was hoping it was made by a famous smith.

Back
Top Bottom